Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at an online sale for a Holton alto and going to see it in person next week. Seller claims it is a 1930 model with serial # 29366. When I looked in a registry of serial numbers it said it was made in 1914/1915. Vintage Sax on the Web lists it as a 1927 Revelation. Attached pics from the ad. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,644 Posts
It doesn’t look at all gold plated!

Anyway, what draws you toward this saxophone? Have you got a special reason to want it?

The mouthpiece and certainly the ligature are interesting, looks in relatively good state but if you were to overhaul it, depending on where you do this, you may very well overspend.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks saxomorris and milandro. No special reason for wanting this horn. Seller is local and asking $300.00. Thought I would offer $250.00 and for about the cost of a good mouthpiece, I'd own a piece of history. Have a great local tech, who is also a friend, and he will do what it takes to get a sax up and running. Very reasonably.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,644 Posts
well the price isn’t bad and the “ owning a piece of history” factor is certainly there. A couple of pin dents in the bow which shouldn’t be a problem for a competent tech to remove but other than that this is a very nice horn.

If your friend isn’t asking a lot of money (sometimes we hear of people asking $1500 and above for “ super” or `”über” hauls in the US) it’s certainly worth doing.

Have fun.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
You have the date right, per Felix's revised serial list....indeed the 'plating' description may be a mistake.

Not sure about the "Revelation" ascription either...as Holton Revelation model instruments were usually engraved "Revelation" ....and in fact all the Revelation saxes had same-side bellkeys - THOSE are fabulous horns, they are. The company may have started using the name before they started engraving the name on their bells...but FWIW when folks talk about their Holton Revelation saxes, they are not referring to ones such as this one.

So, what it is is probably just the typical Alto model of the time. It's got the Front F (note it is a teardrop key, contrary to the notion that the teardrop-shaped touch was a modern revision).

Assuming it is NOT gold plate...it is a 'piece of history' only as much as a commonly available splitbell Martin, King, Conn, or Buescher would be. And will be pretty much AS good a splitbell horn as any of those.

If it plays $300 ain't bad, but if it doesn't, this wouldn't fetch $175 on eFlay.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the Revelation info from vintage.saxontheweb.net.
27789 30981 1927 'Revelation‘ alto SN # 28199; order slip dated 2-26-1927
Thanks for the response JayLID. This site is a wealth of information and knowledge. Thanks to everyone who shares both

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,768 Posts
You have the date right, per Felix's revised serial list....indeed the 'plating' description may be a mistake.

Not sure about the "Revelation" ascription either...as Holton Revelation model instruments were usually engraved "Revelation" ....and in fact all the Revelation saxes had same-side bellkeys - THOSE are fabulous horns, they are. The company may have started using the name before they started engraving the name on their bells...but FWIW when folks talk about their Holton Revelation saxes, they are not referring to ones such as this one.

So, what it is is probably just the typical Alto model of the time. It's got the Front F (note it is a teardrop key, contrary to the notion that the teardrop-shaped touch was a modern revision).

Assuming it is NOT gold plate...it is a 'piece of history' only as much as a commonly available splitbell Martin, King, Conn, or Buescher would be. And will be pretty much AS good a splitbell horn as any of those.

If it plays $300 ain't bad, but if it doesn't, this wouldn't fetch $175 on eFlay.
I can only add this on top.
Gold plated ? Thumb rest has some interesting wear next to interesting colors on key.
1927, yep.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gold plated ? Thumb rest has some interesting wear next to interesting colors on key.
1927, yep.
Sent the pics to my local sax tech and he was also dubious about the gold plating.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The gold plated has a satin finish,
you can check the one for sale from Brian

I had one ... sweet horn

·
4,768 Posts
The gold plated has a satin finish,
you can check the one for sale from Brian

I had one ... sweet horn
Brian who? Can you please post the link. In 1927 there were three finish options on gold plate. All satin variations. That still doesn't mean you couldn't order one with a smooth finish.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Buescher 156 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 , Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari
4,947 Posts
1927, yep.
The silver on the thumb rest jumped out at me. It's either gold plating in very bad lighting, or lacquer in very good lighting. I'd ask for more pics in different lighting conditions.

·
4,768 Posts
Brian getasax.com,
look at the Altos in The Shop
Thank you.

The silver on the thumb rest jumped out at me. It's either gold plating in very bad lighting, or lacquer in very good lighting. I'd ask for more pics in different lighting conditions.
I see some similarities in wear from the OPs pictures to the above referenced Sax. Especially the thumb rest and post tips. Texture between the two is no comparison. Would be very difficult to buff this texture smooth and not burn through the gold.
Oddly the joints around the chimneys,posts,etc on both look plate covered. No exposure of any soldering. The red rot on the F key is bugging me. Will be interesting to know the true findings. Regardless OP has a nice find at a fair price providing it plays.

Anyone care to guess the case interior color ? Blue, purple, green or red

·
4,768 Posts
Nope. The whole horn looks evenly and lightly toned. Old lacquer should be getting darker by now. Just my theory.
Looked at several catalogs from 1925-28. No lacquer, polished brass only and was lowest grade of finish. After April of '26 burnished heavy gold plate was available.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts