Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,013 Posts
They are nice horns. Built well and very wide-sounding. As good a second-shelf model as any King Cleve, Conn 16M, or Martin Indiana for sure.

Incredibly ignored.....but when put into good playing shape they can be monsters.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Collegiate tenor from 1938 - not sure if it fits in the "Collegiate I" category. It's a *great* horn with a large bore and wonderful tone. I can easily go from subtone to a roar, and the overall intonation is very good too, fwiw...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got around to doing something with this sax. We are trying valiently to save the pads, so I am sanding them with a very fine fingernail file. It is actually doing a pretty darn good job of taking off the overspray and finding soft leather. We worry that heating the pad cups will ruin the paint job on the sax. The paint was the reason my son wanted it and it will not be damaged any worse by leaving it on for as long as he wants it on.

For those of you that missed or have forgotten the mention of this sax previously, it has been spray painted in flame-patterned automotive paint by a professional painter. Not, however, a knowledgeable saxophone person. It was painted with all pads on and most open. It is beautiful and my son hopes to use it for jazz band. Flashy, you know?

·
19,013 Posts

Bbrandha was kind enough to bring this horn by as she was in town this weekend.

Carzy blinged-out paintjob....flames and black and orange.....am guessing done by an automotive/motorcycle paint shop or detailer (?)...and amazingly, the sanded pads actually seal well. Only 3 relatively minor leaks up and down the horn.

The problem, as she pointed out...trying to change any of the pads will likely burn the paint. So the only way to do a repad would be to sandblast the keys.
Other than this...horn is in good physical shape, actually.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,480 Posts
Not a tech at all, but is it possible that an electric heating pad could get hot enuff to work the pads w/o damaging the paint?

Please excuse my ignorance.

·
19,013 Posts
Dunno....I doubt it, though, if you mean a standard sorta one you buy at a pharmacy.

The other thought was a no-flame contact gun heater, where you touch a heating element to the metal. But again, I dunno how automotive paint responds to heat.

The other problem is, for pads one has to do the initial install off the horn.....easy, as you can just flame the inside of the keycup....BUT then do a reheat of the back of the cup once the keys are on the horn (in order to float the pad to the hole). This is where the paint would get burned, I would think.

Around here, guys will sandblast a set of keys for around $50....takes maybe 10 minutes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is now in full playing condition. Unfortunately, now that he is out of high school, he has nowhere to play. Neither the university he went to last year or the one he will go to next year, have band programs. He is the proud owner of 3 cool saxophones that sit in their cases. Sigh.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Played a Holton Collegiate as my first horn, for about five years. It held up well to a young teen's abuse, including being toted everywhere on the handlebars of my bike, and it made enough money for me playing rock gigs at 16 that I was able to trade it in on a Super 20 Silversonic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize my comment is almost 5 years behind, but do you still have the tenor that your son was not able to play in college? Does it have rolled tone holes? Would it be for sale by chance?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
4,122 Posts
Welcome to SOTW. We do have a Marketplace section here for buying and selling
for folks that have been members here a while.

The OP has not been on here for over a year, so it is unlikely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.