Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,015 Posts
Yes i bought it , i want to repair it , i m mecanic from education . I order polster etc . he guy that sold me told me to sandblast it for a beter dark sound ?????? or with a bath acid ?????? It s on th way
OH GOD !!!!! NO...do NOT sandblast it !

It looks like it has most of its Silver plating intact. Just use a silver cleaner/dip on it, then rinse and clean with soap and water. Then use either a silver paste polish or a silver polishing cloth to shine it up. You can put the silver dip in a spray bottle and spray it on, since there is no way to completely submerge the body in dip.

Here in the US I use Tarn-X and Wrights Silver Cream. I do not know what is available where you are.

The FINISH on a saxophone does NOT effect the tone of the saxophone. Leave it silverplate.

·
19,015 Posts
I know it's a completely different animal, but I have a Holton 233 alto that I really look forward to overhauling. It has a really wonderful tone (Conn-like to me ears). The build quality is outstanding and is the most comfortable vintage alto I've ever had under my fingers.
These are nice...different animals from OP's older model, yes, but different and related the way a Chu is related to a 6M, and all.

Great horns, the 23X's.
Yes, I knew there was bum info when I read about the supposed "bad intonation" of Holtons because I had already had experience with a very good Holton soprano. The guy selling it told me "it doesn't play in tune". I shoved the mouthpiece clear up against the octave key post and it played perfectly in tune. I only regret that the lead player in our college big band, who had been using it for two years because it played better than any other soprano he'd ever played, convinced me to sell it to him. The action was not as slick as the Buescher I own now, though, I can remember that even though it's been many years. Maybe a really good setup would have helped.
I love their Sops, I think their Sops are their best endeavors.

But, all in all...when set up right....NO...Holtons do NOT have 'bad intonation'. I have actually never played a well-serviced Holton with 'bad intonation'...splitbell, same-side, SATB, whatever....

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Interesting thread but just one point to the OP, silver creams, dips and cloths all work fine, some needing more work than others. In cleaning up a very tarnished 1930 Conn alto recently, I found that a paste made with baking soda, a little dish soap, water and an old tooth brush did the job quickly and co$t free.

·
19,015 Posts
hello i red splitbell ,??? can anyone explane please
"Splitbell" = shorthand for "Split Bell Keys"...

....which means....the low B and Bb bell keys are on opposite sides of the bell.
So when you look at one side, you see only one bell key. When you look at the other side, you see only one bell key.

This was the conventional appearance/mechanics/design of saxes up until around the mid-1930's or so, when saxes started appearing with the B and Bb key cups on the same side of the bell.....generally speaking.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,879 Posts
Google Translate by Google LLC
Try to find free translation app

#5656 a low# 1920 ish Chicago alto everyone helped me date early this year. I bought on a blind gamble. But I was aware of the risk too. It plays,cool bit of history. No loss. Sandblasting?? Your friend must fish some too. Welcome to the group here.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts