Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Holton 241 Tenor from 1948 (Serial 195***). Seems to be in excellent condition. I played a Holton tenor before and it was really nice, sort of similar to a Conn. I do not know if the model was the same as the 241. I paid $235 for the horn which seemed like a good deal.

Can anybody tell me if the 241 is a good horn. Was it a professional model? Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
Never tried one, but I hear they play with a nice big tone but only fair in terms of key action. They may have been intended as a pro model, but I'm not aware of any widespread professional use of these horns.

·
Registered
16 Posts
re:Holton 241 tenor saxophone

Built very well ! The same level as The Martin Tenor or Conn 10M. Here was made few professional Holton models: Rudy Weidoff, Stratodyne and 241. Mostly Holton horns built before 1955 are pro horns. Jerry

·
Registered
71 Posts
Holton 243

Hey all,

While I am not terribly familiar with the 241 (I assume it is the preceding model), I own and play a Holton 243 made in about 1954-1955 and I can attest that it is indeed a pro-quality horn - IF YOU GET A GOOD ONE. When I bought mine, I compared it to a Selmer Super Balanced Action that I borrowed from a friend for this purpose, and was truly impressed with its action and sound quality, which was virtually indistinguishable from the SSBA, and very free-blowing! The key layout I actually prefer to the Selmers because the Holton is made to play straight out in front of you (the keys are more 'in-line', which I prefer), whereas the Selmer key layout is made to play to the side. The action itself is just fine, and the Holton's ergonomics were much better than those of a Conn 10M.

This does not mean they are all good, but if you find a good one, it can be VERY good. You'll just have to try it out ... and be sure to bring along a good tenor for comparison purposes.

One sax player heard me trying out a mouthpiece and asked to blow on my Holton. After playing it a bit, he proposed to buy it off me, and kept after me for two years to see if I would change my mind (and this guy owned two Selmer SBAs)! Go figure.

The point is that if you find a good one, it can be worth its weight in gold - but only for a player. I dont think it will develop much of a market as, from what I understand, there are few really good Holton 243s.

ADD ON - 20 Jan 2006: For an interesting example of the value of a Holton 243, please check out the following link to Roberto's Woodwinds on 46th St in NYC: http://www.robertoswoodwind.com/store/p.asp?c=119

Anyway, that's my two cents worth!

·
Registered
600 Posts
HOLTON 241

I have the opportunity to play on one of them (year 1948), 2 tones (golden body with nickeled keyworks). Big bell; big vintage sound. These horn are really undervaluated by "temple keepers". I use to play on Conn 10 M, KIng ZEphyr from this period and to me this sax has equal ability in sound, mechanism. The market laws are sometimes strange...
See one, get one with no fear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.