Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the forum so please forgive decorum lapses. I bought my 1948 Holton 241 tenor in 1981 and always sort of felt like it was an orphan horn so am very glad to see the enthusiasm for it on this forum. I have probably played it less than 500 hours in the years since, but want to really focus on it now. I tried to get one tech interested and he advised (sight unseen) buying a different horn...but honestly I am a little bit attached intrigued as to what this thing would sound like really put into good order. Two questions:

1) Can someone recommend a loving tech in the Detroit area, so I can avoid the perils of shipping?

2) The original literature talks about metal resonator backings to the pads...is that a standard thing, or will I need to wrestle with a tech to get those reinstalled on a rework?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. It just refers to the metal resonators. Actually found a shop here (well, nearly here - Okemos, MI) called Meridian Winds that seems enthusiastic and knowledgable, and were recommended highly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy story - Meridian Winds in Okemos, Michigan did a wonderful total rebuild and then we matched it up with a Berg Larson 110 2 M mouthpiece and oh my goodness this thing has a big full sound now. I had a Selmer C* on it and the sound was fat but not punchy...the combination of the rebuild and the BL have it full of muscle. Now I just need to learn to play it;) Bottom lines:

1) Holton 241 tenors are definitely worth a rebuild, and also deserving of finding a mouthpiece to take advantage of the power.

2) Absolute total endorsement of Meridian Winds. Besides being highly recommended experts, they really care and love what they do plus are very fair with the cost side of things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts