Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is not a lot of news out there on these saxophones but these Hohners are wonderful to say the least. I just finished rebuilding 2 of the tenors and they are quite remarkable players. I was really impressed with sound and ergs. Used a Morgan Excalibur 7EL mouthpiece on a standard 2 or 2.5 Rico Royal reeds. Has a much better fingering than my 63 Mark VI. Just curious to see what anyone else out there thought of these. Sure got my attention. I think these are real sleepers. Have a hard time of putting it down.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
I had one that was a minty silver plate. It didn;t have the brilliance of my 10m...probably because of the resos.....but it was built like a tank and player well in tune....just not enough punch with plastic resos. The design is cool looking too...similar to the early super 20 keywork (with respect to the keyguards).

·
Registered
987 Posts
I bought the one Raphyel had, played great, but I fell in love with a new yamaha... the person I sold it to gigs with it regularly, he repadded it with metal resos and says it defintely kicks. The silver plating was sweet to look at too!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
Max Keilwerth built some very good horns. I have sold a few of them, Presidents. A silverplate Tenor to another SOTW member which I was very sorry to see go because it played like silk. I have a lacquer Alto for sale which bafflingly has been here over a year...cannot understand it because it's a beauty and the tone is fantastic. I agree, ergos are fine, although I feel all Keilwerth vintage horns have good ergos, IMHO. I also have a bit of a strange one... a lacquer Hohner which appears to be a President but is only engraved "Hohner".

I wouldn't say they punch like a 10M, Buescher, King, Martin, Kohlert...but then again, the beauty of the Keilwerth horns is their beautiful, lyrical tone with that great dark bottom. They just sound huge. You could go with the edgiest mouthpiece and edgiest resos you can find, and it's still gonna be a generally dark-sounding horn, IMHO.

Anyway, count me in as a fan. A nice Silverplate alto just ended on eFlay today. I have been quite impressed by the ones which have come thru here...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I had an army issued Hohner alto in 1962 and when I got my Mark VI in 1964 I had a hard time adjusting as I sounded better on the Hohner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a "President" for 200 bucks back in the '80's in Sydney Australia. I taught myself to play on it and used to busk down on Sydney harbor near Circular Quay. One night four punters approached me and said they could here me from Manly - a harbourside suburb about 12 kilometers away. That's the power of the Hohner! I use a Berg Larsen metal mouthpiece with a wide set and #2 or 3 reed. When I have played with other horn players with Yammys or the like they have always commented on the tone of the Pres. and what presence it has. I'm just about to submit the girl to another no doubt expensive overhaul but she's worth it. I reckon there's something in the actual metal or the alloy that gives this machine the timbre it has. This girl lives under my bed and I have not played her for about 6 years but am about to start again jamming with friends and playing at the local pub. A great horn well made from the start and never to be sold on !

·
17,960 Posts
While it is the quality of construction which has always been good.... it's the body tube, bow, and belltube design which gives the Keilwerth Bros. horns their signature tone....it is really a sound unto itself. I have Max horns spanning over 3 decades, and they are all superb-sounding instruments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I decided to get this old instrument looked at and found a guy in Sydney that had a look at her today. Turns out the post attaching the bell to the body has been pushed back and the holes on the body are misaligned. His advice was to change up to a new Student model Yamaha with five years warranty and that new car smell or if I had a "sentimental attachment" he could repair mine for a grand. I asked what was involved and it would be a complete rebuild including removal of the bell and re-align the body, new pads, springs spacers etc. I booked it in this arvo.
There's a three month waiting list so I won't get it back for a while but I can post some befor and after photos and comments if anyone is keen. Apparently all the pro brass and woodwind players use this guy and I couldn't find him with a map so I think he might b ok. For a gran I would get a very average to below average instrument and I haven't spent anything on her in twenty years so giddy up !

·
17,960 Posts
Around here that repair might cost $300. Basically the bellbrace got pushed into the body tube. So one has to unsolder the brace at both places, remove the dents from the tube and bell, and resolder the brace back on.

If, while doing that, the tech cares to replace maybe about a half-dozen pads and do a decent regulation, then all in all it should run maybe $500 or so....

If there are any other techs in your vicinity (i.e. within an hour or so drive) it would be worth your effort to take it to them.

"all the pro brass and woodwind players use this guy ..." would be looked at by most people as a rave.

I hear something like this, and my immediate thought is: "then he has no need of your business, is quite busy enough, doesn't know you, and isn't likely to come up with a reasonable estimate"

A 'New Student Model Yamaha" costs about $1300 for an alto.....$1700 for a Tenor.... if I recall. You can get a used one for about $450 Alto or $700 Tenor, or so.

(And compared to a nice Max-made Hohner....they play and sound like fookin' sh#t.....)

If you want to sell me the Hohner, I will buy it from you for a few hundred, plus shipping. PM me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the offer and advice man but I'll pass on the sale. It's got sentimental value so I'll hang on to the crappy old thing. Where are you - possibly the US ? Things seem to cost more here than The States but I'll definitely get another couple of quotes to make sure this isn't a rip. I have had this one repaired and overhauled before a long time ago and you'd swear it was a brand new horn. This guy will do a complete rebuild and repair the damage so I'm actually quite keen to see how this repair turns out. I love this sax so I'm glad I'm getting it fixed up.
Cheers

·
17,960 Posts
Well...with the possible exception of Japan....no place is more expensive for tech work than the SF bay area, in Calif.

You might wanna consider that if it had an overhaul and it still is in rel good shape, you could probably save a few hundred if you just fix the bell impaction and replace only the pads absolutely required. Even here, that would probably only run around $600-700.

Best of luck with it...I agree they are worth keeping (and not just for sentimental value).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts