Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not quite sure where to post this, since it isn't a real saxophone, but I thought someone might have ideas.

I acquired a Hohner Sax blow accordion a few months ago with the intention of fixing it up and playing it for fun. It's actually in pretty great shape; all of the keys are there and it still makes a sound when you blow into it. However, I've only blown into it once; the mouthpiece has some really nasty-looking residue inside that I really don't want to push my luck with. I really want to take it apart, check the reed block, and clean it, but so far it's resisted every attempt I've made to disassemble it. My last attempt was a light Kroil treatment near the bell, no dice. I've looked up images of other Hohner Saxes, so I know they come apart, but mine seems to be a little different from the others. I'm beginning the think it might have been soldered...

So, does anyone have any ideas on how I could take this thing apart? Cutting it is out of the question, I don't want to attempt anything that might seriously hurt it, but I've run out of ideas.

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,671 Posts

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Hohner Sax is technically an organette, but sax-shaped. It was built a little different from the standard organette, and cost almost twice as much from the vintage advertisements I've been able to track down. Here are some pictures of my Sax; my camera is terrible, but this should give you the general idea.
Musical instrument Wind instrument Gas Electric blue Pipe
Musical instrument Wind instrument Gas Auto part Metal
The construction isn't that complex, so I'm convinced my current roadblock is either due to extremely fine soldering or Kroil being unable to cope with 80+ years of rust, grime, and whatever else this thing might have picked up.

I might contact the guy from 16:23 Harmonicas about this if I can't make any further progress myself. It looks like he doesn't specialize in Hohners anymore, but it's worth a try.

·
4,671 Posts
Wow what a cool item. From the looks of things in these pictures.
http://bassic-sax.info/version5/vintage-saxes/sax-shaped-things/blow-accordions/saxonette/
It appears they are slip joints. However I would continue to do your homework. It could turn out that you just need a little heat on the body side to loosen things up. My concern is what’s close on the inside that could possibly be damaged from the heat. That said, maybe hot water would be good choice. Controlling a very hot fine stream over the joint from sink faucet may do the trick.
Rare item, take it easy. $11.25 was good chunk of dough in 1929.

Re: where to post your question. Yes it is a collectible but your question is repair related. Rules forbid double posts. But here would be your option for next time.
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/forumdisplay.php?54-Sax-Repair-Maintenance-and-Modification

·
Banned
652 Posts
I used to have one of these. Can I ask why you want to fix it? It's a toy. Not a serious instrument at all. I don't really know much aout them but I think you probably would have to make a new reed block for it. And as far as taking it apart, t think you'd have to get it very hot to break the welds, which would very likely damage the reed block inside it anyway. I remember mine had no screws or any way to disassemble it. Those things are silly. I used to take mine to jazz jams and play it as a joke.

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@PigSquealer Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try if the Kroil doesn't work out. But yeah, I don't want to attempt anything too drastic. I was lucky enough to find one in such good condition.

@Sax Bum I know it's just a toy, but there's something about it that makes me want to restore it. I'd never use it for serious play, but I think it's a cool little novelty regardless.

For the record, I also own a working Q.R.S. Play-a-Sax, which is even more of a novelty and fits the toy description even better. I have a SERIOUS weakness for odd vintage sax-shaped things. Now all I need is a Saxie to round out the collection. :)

·
4,671 Posts
@PigSquealer Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try if the Kroil doesn't work out. But yeah, I don't want to attempt anything too drastic. I was lucky enough to find one in such good condition.

@Sax Bum I know it's just a toy, but there's something about it that makes me want to restore it. I'd never use it for serious play, but I think it's a cool little novelty regardless.

For the record, I also own a working Q.R.S. Play-a-Sax, which is even more of a novelty and fits the toy description even better. I have a SERIOUS weakness for odd vintage sax-shaped things. Now all I need is a Saxie to round out the collection. :)
Welcome,I haven’t had much luck with Kroil on brass. I’m sure there’s something for stuck instrument tubes. Hope the hot water works.

$11.25 in 1929 ! Surprised you found one at all.

Serious play? Why not? If it’s working properly and in tune like the ad says they were. Have some serious fun!

To new but you really need a SaxKazoo for the collection lol....I won’t tell.

·
Registered
Alto, C-mel, Saxie
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol I used to have a saxophone-shaped kazoo when I was about five years old. Kazoos in general are pretty fun; maybe I'll have to pick up another one. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts