Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thanks odsum for posting, no words needed, Johnny says it all.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have some words! :D

Firstly, Hodges is exceptional, as always. I had heard of Duke's stunt of holding up the sheet music to make it look like he had just composed it and Hodges was reading on the fly, but of course that's silly, mainly because Hodges was apparently a rather poor sight-reader (and that song is also Strayhorn composition). He's probably giving Duke a look along the lines of "yeah yeah, bugger off..." ;)

I also love the unison background line by the two tenors and bari (Russell Procope is seen sitting out the first parts of that). Duke uses that on some other tunes where the whole sax section play unison, and their intonation is flawless!

And Carney's bari! Man, what a sound. There is a link after the above vid to a clip of him soloing and doing his circular breathing stunt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHU5prfN_4g&NR=1

Mark

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Thank you. Mr. Hodges playing this tune is the sound I hear in my head when I think alto saxophone.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is it just the camera angle or does Hodges have the mouth piece in the right corner of his mouth, I guess when you play like he does it doesn't matter where the mouth piece goes. I think I will try and learn with it in the centre first :)

Tony

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2009
434 Posts
Wonder what it might've sounded like on THIS rig (circa '46):

Never knew he played one o' them nekked ladies.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Mark said:
I have some words! :D

Firstly, Hodges is exceptional, as always. I had heard of Duke's stunt of holding up the sheet music to make it look like he had just composed it and Hodges was reading on the fly, but of course that's silly, mainly because Hodges was apparently a rather poor sight-reader (and that song is also Strayhorn composition). He's probably giving Duke a look along the lines of "yeah yeah, bugger off..." ;)

Mark
It looks to me a bit like Duke is implying "yeah, look at the music, Rabbit, I want you to play it as written." Or maybe it's some kind of in-joke about Hodges which we can never get. I can understand the showmanship but i feel like it detracts from the music to an extent. It's like they're saying "you'll need this bit of pantomime too or you'll probably get bored". AS IF...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2009
434 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
It looks to me a bit like Duke is implying "yeah, look at the music, Rabbit, I want you to play it as written." Or maybe it's some kind of in-joke about Hodges which we can never get. I can understand the showmanship but i feel like it detracts from the music to an extent. It's like they're saying "you'll need this bit of pantomime too or you'll probably get bored". AS IF...
I think I recall reading that they could really get on each other's nerves.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
...or maybe it's like this.

Rabbit: Man, I ain't got this 'Isfahan' chart memorized yet, but I can't read the notes--the cotton-pickin' stand is too low, and these studio lights are right in my eyes!

Director: Just hit your mark and play the song. <mutters> Jazz musicians, they're sooo hard to work with.

Duke: Hey, how about I toodle on over and hold the music. It might make a good bit of business.

Director: Hey, Duke, how about you hold the music like Johnny's never seen it before. <mutters> I gotta think of everything. I could be directing Gone With the Wind or Wizard of Oz, but NO...

Best Boy/Union steward: Hey guys, time for a ten!

·
Registered
8,146 Posts
"Poor sight reader"? I didn't hear any mistakes! Most of these big band players were studied musicians. I've heard this same stuff about Bird. These guys could read flys**t.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
whaler said:
"Poor sight reader"? I didn't hear any mistakes! Most of these big band players were studied musicians. I've heard this same stuff about Bird. These guys could read flys**t.
Actually, Rabbit wasn't the best sight-reader in the world. And from the stories I read, Duke was holding it up to say "Play it as written, MF." , Hodges was peeved and his musical reply was "I might not be the best sightreader in the world, but just try and find someone who can play it this beautifully, MF."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts