Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no problems getting all the way up to B but C and D on the 4th octave is very difficult . Of course the 3rd octave is a breeze , I have been playing flute since late 2007 and progressed to the point where I am very happy with my playing

Thanks for listening

Doug:)

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
D is my limit and I'm fairly pleased with it, it's more in tune than my C#. I need to really bring the lips forward and think extra breath support.
I once or twice managed an Eb but being a doubler, I didn't find the time investment worth it for an extra note.

Do you use your low B gizmo on C and C#? I find it helps.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Lots more air pressure from the lungs, and an appropriate embouchure to convert that into a very fast airstream. It is possible that you have developed an embouchure that is adequate for lower notes, but fails this high.

Also, making the lip aperture ever so slightly closer to the far wall of the embouchure hole helps too.

There is a huge amount of quite technical discussion on this, mainly between "Kymarto" and myself, but I don't have time to hunt for it at present. Perhaps use the search facility, or somebody else may know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Check out Trevor Wye's excellent book on tonal development. There's sone wonderful exercises for the third into the 4th octave. There's also his advanced techniques book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
+1 on Trevor Wye's books. Do you have a private teacher, by any chance? I was fortunate to have some lessons with Mary Karen Clardy this summer, and she helped me clear up playing problems I would have never resolved alone.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
dogster, I have the Trevor Wye Practice Books for the Flute Omnibus Edition, Books 1-5 if you are interested. I quit playing woodwinds regularly and have little use for this. It is brand new - never touched. The Omnibus is brilliant, by the way. If you (or anyone else for that matter) are interested, PM me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts