Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
Eugene Rousseau's biography of Marcel Mule is great, but it's out of print and expensive.

There are about 100 dissertations on the subject, but you'll need to be more specific on the topic.

A lot of people will recomend The Devil's Horn, but it's really inaccurate and ignores the very early players.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I recommend The Cambridge Companion to the Saxophone, although it's not a history per se and is not limited to classical music. But it's very informative.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My dissertation on the saxophone's use in 19th Century Opera (particularly Jules Massenet) will be published in the upcoming edition of the saxophone symposium in Spring 2015.

Fred Hemke's dissertation on the subject of the early history of the saxophone is incredibly vast and is probably the most detailed one you will find. The only caveat is that we have learned some additional details about saxophone development and some works that include saxophone, etc. that we didn't know back when he wrote it over 30 years ago.

I have compiled a lot of lists of early saxophone works, categorizing them by type, country, chronological order, etc., etc. I'm happy to share those with you if you want. Just send me an e-mail, which you can get off my website.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay thanks, I just rented Roussea's book from my college library and I'll make sure to check into those other sources mentioned... Thanks everyone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts