Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just thought I would put up a post about my experience with the Artist case...it may help your decision to buy or not to buy.

Firstly, my Yamaha Custom Z Tenor did not fit...as correctly discussed in some previous posts there was about an inch of play between the Bow and the Bottom of the case.

I spoke to my supplier who sent Hiscox a picture of the problem...Hiscox then sent me TWO cloth lined inserts like the ones inside the case and I spent £10 getting a Tailor to stitch them permanently inside the case...Job Done.
It is now a wonderful fit...no movement at all.
If you can't be bothered getting in touch with Hiscox then try this...inside the case is a Mouthpiece pouch that is the same cloth as the lining...buy some foam...put it inside the mouthpiece pouch and then glue or sew it in to the above mentioned space.

The next issue that everyone has with most cases is Storage.
It took a bit of trial and error trying things this way and then that, but here is what I have managed to fit inside.

In the storage space...
2 x D'Addario Reed Cases
1 x Extra Florida Otto Link MPC with Box
1 x Reed Geek
1 x Cork Grease
1 x Powder Paper
1 x Rigotti Gold Jazz Reed Box 10box
1 x Alexander Superial Reed Box 10box
2 x D'Addario Reed Boxes 5box

Neck & Mouthpiece inside Bell inside a Protec Pouch
Strap and Cleaning Swab underneath the Saxophone
For me that is quite a lot in a smallish space...anything else I need (sax stand, music stand) I don't mind carrying with my other luggage.

The latches are nearly twice as big as the latches on the Pro ii case, the leather handle is wonderful, the lining is quite plush and there are many earlier posts about the outer material and it's crush weight.

My Horn has to go inside and in the back of Tour buses and sometimes gets picked up and loaded in by whoever else I am playing with...so far I have confidence that my Horn is protected well.
I never really have to carry my Horn that far (on and off buses and subways) so the shape of the case on my back using the shoulder strap or carrying it by the handle isn't a problem...for me.

We all have different needs and different situations so one case won't suit us all, my advice is to read up on some of the good reviews out there and then if possible go to your local shop with your Horn and spend some time trying it out.
I have never owned a case in Forty years that has been ideal for all my needs...you probably will need to sacrifice some of your wants but for me the Hiscox Artist suits just about all of mine.

Thanks,

Deke.

www.dekemcgee.com

·
Registered
Tenor sax
55 Posts
I have a Hiscox Artist that I bought from another member here. I really like the case and use it from time to time depending on the situation. I emailed Hiscox a month or so ago and inquired about getting some additional pads. I told them that I really liked the case but it was a little loose for one of my horns. They told me they were sorry it didnt fit and couldnt provide any additional padding. I was willing to pay for it but they didnt seem interested in helping me. Like I said, I love the case but that kind of turned me off to purchasing any more from them. I also have a Bam Cabine that I had lost one of the 2 keys and emailed Bam to see about purchasing a couple extras and they sent me a bag of them for free and couldnt have been nicer to deal with!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would also be put off by any company that wasn't really interested in listening or trying to help out my issue.
As I said above, my supplier contacted Hiscox and it was them who suggested the additional padding, my supplier and me didn't know these were available.

I suppose it might depend unfortunately who you get on the phone or email.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts