Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I need a little expert advice from the Hiscox case users on the forum. I recently bought a Hiscox Pro II series alto case for my Selmer 100,000 Series Mark VI (long bow). I've been using a ProTec for years but had a banana bend in the body recently and decided I needed a better case.

Here's the Hiscox question. Is the sax supposed to rest on top of the big cushion below the thumb rest, or is that cushion supposed to compress behind the body of the sax? It looks like it's supposed to compress, but it certainly doesn't want to do that with my alto. I can crunch it down a bit, but there's no way I can get the whole thing to compress behind the back of sax. So right now, when I put the sax in the case it looks like the bottom of the horn is sitting higher in the case than the top.

What am I doing wrong? I know everyone loves these cases. Does the cushion just squish down under the body of the horn?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

·
Registered
486 Posts
There's no short cuts to learning how to place your sax in its case. It takes practice and dedication, just like any other aspect of music. A good exercise is just to start by placing the mouthpiece only in the case. After several weeks you can then move on to the neck and then finally the whole instrument.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
There's no short cuts to learning how to place your sax in its case. It takes practice and dedication, just like any other aspect of music. A good exercise is just to start by placing the mouthpiece only in the case. After several weeks you can then move on to the neck and then finally the whole instrument.
That's funny.

Alto Boy, if you're still here and were just letting off a little steam - I have read your post a couple of times and just can't visualize what you are meaning. Could you post a couple of photos that would illustrate your problem?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts