Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Definitey check out George Duke and Richard Tee. Both guys were EVERYWHERE in the 70's/80's and both play with a beautiful tasty groove. Richard is on Tom Scott's New York Connection album and tears it up. George Duke is one of the true fathers of modern "smooth jazz", and always sounds good and funky - not too "smooth". He produces as much as he plays keys. I like Najee's "Songs in the Key of Life" recording that Duke produced/played on.

(these guys really are everywhere and I'm not even sure these examples are the best place to start - it's just what I have off the top of my head)

Jan Hammer is another 70's/80's guy if you're looking for sick chops, and not so much "funky". He and Brecker clearly listened to each other and shared concepts. Check out some his fusion stuff with Jeff Beck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
Joe Sample
Greg Karukas
Oscar Peterson

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
Funky Groups: Soulive
Bonafide

·
Registered
247 Posts
riffing off the excellent neal evans (soulive) recommendation, find anything with kofi burbridge on it. he's an astonishing (if under-recognized) hammond b3 player with equally frightening flute chops. dig up some "aquarium rescue unit" or his more recent stuff with derek trucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts