Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a Canadian high school student looking for a saxophone to buy. I've played for 4 years but haven't bought one yet. Right now I have found a Conn 22M (700$), a Bundy II (500$), Kielworth ST-90 (800), and a Jupiter STS-687 (575$). If you have other suggestions they'd also be appreciated, my budget is 800$ and I also want to know if buying from eBay is a good idea (none of my suggestions are off ebay). Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,426 Posts
Ebay is not the way for a high school kid to go, unless you or your parents have pockets deep enough to afford putting more money into the horn for adjustments/repairs after it arrives.
For you it would probably be best to find a good horn somewhat locally that you can play before deciding to hand over your hard earned cash. OR... One a little farther away that the seller will let you return after a few days trial period.
Any of the horns you have listed will work for the average HS kid. BUT depending on what you've been playing they may not work for you. Play them, compare sound, feel, condition, and then take home the one that best meets your personal requirements.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,878 Posts
Hi, I'm a Canadian high school student looking for a saxophone to buy. I've played for 4 years but haven't bought one yet. Right now I have found a Conn 22M (700$), a Bundy II (500$), Kielworth ST-90 (800), and a Jupiter STS-687 (575$). If you have other suggestions they'd also be appreciated, my budget is 800$ and I also want to know if buying from eBay is a good idea (none of my suggestions are off ebay). Thanks
Canada's a big place. Be more specific, as those of us who reside here may be able to give you better guidance that way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,665 Posts
Well..we could just shortcut this whole conversation.

If all of the horns you listed are easily accessible and guaranteed by the sellers to be in good playing and physical condition....ANY of them are good choices and their prices are fair as well. Not steals, but not ripoffs. If the sellers state they need some work, then the prices are a bit too high.

You already play, so playtest any you can and see how they feel. They are all modern horns so none will have intonation issues not easily correctable. So you are looking at things like body condition, condition of pads, leaks (you can feel if the horn is speaking up and down in all registers or if there seems to be any vacuum effect going on), key play (try moving the key barrels on the upper and lower stacks and pinky table up and down and see if they are tight or there is actually vertical play).

If the Jupiter is pre-2002, let that one go. They didn't get their sh#t together until around '02 and later. http://www.musictrader.com/jupiter.html

Really, though, your short list is pretty darn good...so you already have done a nice job of finding respectable horns.

·
3,878 Posts
I'm from Ottawa

That helps. There are several active members on this board from Ottawa, you have some decent music stores in town, and aren't too far from some very good stores in Montreal.

Go in to one of your local dealers, and cultivate a relationship.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Well..we could just shortcut this whole conversation.

If all of the horns you listed are easily accessible and guaranteed by the sellers to be in good playing and physical condition....ANY of them are good choices and their prices are fair as well. Not steals, but not ripoffs. If the sellers state they need some work, then the prices are a bit too high.

You already play, so playtest any you can and see how they feel. They are all modern horns so none will have intonation issues not easily correctable. So you are looking at things like body condition, condition of pads, leaks (you can feel if the horn is speaking up and down in all registers or if there seems to be any vacuum effect going on), key play (try moving the key barrels on the upper and lower stacks and pinky table up and down and see if they are tight or there is actually vertical play).

If the Jupiter is pre-2002, let that one go. They didn't get their sh#t together until around '02 and later. http://www.musictrader.com/jupiter.html

Really, though, your short list is pretty darn good...so you already have done a nice job of finding respectable horns.
jaye - weren't some of the JK Sts Keilwerth-made and some Amati-made? Would you know which, if either, this one would be?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, I forgot to mention something important. I'm looking for a tenor. Thanks to everyone for helping me out with this decision.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,665 Posts
Yes....you see this is what I meant by shortcutting the thread. While Merlin's question may be pertinent, I reiterate that there is no reason to necessarily widen the scope of your search as the horns on your list are all respectable ones and their prices are fair (assuming they play well).

Threads like this can sometimes start to unravel into folks offering something they may have for sale, others suggesting you go to this store or that....and other folks chiming in suggesting different models other than the ones you have been looking at. All of that, again, is fine....but very digressive.

If it were a situation where you had written "I am about to purchase an Orpheo, and am in Ottowa. Is this a good horn or does anyone have other suggestions ?"....that would have been a different story.

Or if your short list named models and brands which were quite terrible....that also would have been a different story.

But you didn't post this...or that. I have a crapload of horns which would fit your situation, but I am not gonna go pushing them on you because, again, that isn't what you are asking for and you already have 4 decent choices. You have been playing for a few years, so you know how a horn is supposed to blow and feel.

...depending on what you've been playing they may not work for you. Play them, compare sound, feel, condition, and then take home the one that best meets your personal requirements.
Yup. Trust your own instincts on each of these. You have not clarified if you can playtest any of them. If so...do so and again, trust yourself (or bring along a more advanced Tenor player with you).

If you will not be able to playtest any of these, then do not buy w/o a return policy. If you cannot test any of them, and are asking 'which is the best for me ?' based on other Forum members' experiences.....I would say:

The Conn (UMI-era) will sound the biggest and fattest, but its ergonomics are not for folks with smallish hands; and its keywork is not super-quick. The Keilwerth and Jupiter will have the most modern keywork but if the Jupe is an earlier model, it has construction issues worth staying away from. The Bundy II is a great workhorse, really built and very reliable and the keywork is pretty good, but doesn't sound as nice as the Conn, although perhaps better sounding than the Jupe or JK.

Gary...yes, some were assembled at Amati, parts mfr'd from JK specs. Those are the Series I and II ST's I think. The serials are what identifies 'em as such. Regardless, however, even a later asian-made ST-90 is supposed to be a better than average student horn, from what I have read.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was also wondering if any of these are suitable for marching? Because I might want to join a marching band in university, so I was wondering if I could use one of these for marching and then buy a better one when I go off to university and use that one as my main.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think you can use anything for march band. But the question is, if you are on a limited budget, would you spend all your money for something not as good and use it for march band where there is a bigger chance to damage it, or you would rather save up and get a better one for personal use? I personally would save up for something better, and see if the school will provide one for march band.

·
3,878 Posts
I was also wondering if any of these are suitable for marching? Because I might want to join a marching band in university, so I was wondering if I could use one of these for marching and then buy a better one when I go off to university and use that one as my main.
Got your sights set on a U south of the border? I don't know of any Canadian universities that go in for marching bands. There's nary a one in the the high schools here; too damn cold.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,426 Posts
Don't know what I'm gonna do for school. I've still got 3 years to figure it out.
In that case, get the best horn you can afford and don't worry about one for marching band until the need arises.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Personal Update:
I ended up not buying a sax that was not one of my listed options. There was an ad on Kijiji (not sure if it exists in the USA but it's like Craigslist) that said "Second hand tenor saxophone" and the price listed was $500. I didn't mention it here (nor was I really interested in it) because it didn't have model named in the ad and it was a Jupiter (I had a bias against Jupiter at the time). The ad also said that it came with a Berg Larsen 110 2 M mpc., an Otto Link STM 7* and a Selmer C**. But I didn't end up getting all the money I wanted (I was selling a bunch of stuff online to get it but my most expensive item wasn't selling) so I emailed the owner and asked him for the model and serial numbers. He told be it was a JTS 789-787 and the SN started with A. I looked up the model and was surprised to learn that it's and intermediate level sax. I offered the owner $400 for it, expecting him to raise it to $450 and then me offering $425 (all the money I had). But, to my surprise, he said he'd take $400. So I went and tried it out and found it played well and had no issues besides a lack of lubrication on the keys and a screw missing. Because of the good condition I bought it.

The really interesting part of this was when my dad asked him why he was selling it. He said that he couldn't play anymore because once he was playing a show and he noticed that he couldn't see out of his left eye. He went to the hospital and was told he had a problem with his sinus that caused lesions in his brain when put under pressure. He then had to stop playing sax forever. He said that he kept it for so long because it had sentimental value for him because he used it professionally in the only jazz band in Nepal. I looked him up when I got home and found out that he was "a jazz saxophone prodigy" and was playing professionally before the age of 16.

Just thought some of you might be interested in my final decision and a sad story.

Thanks everyone for helping me out with this decision.

Martin

·
Registered
726 Posts
that's a very good buy, congats. The mouthpiece alone worth $250 at least, so, u are paying $150 bucks for the sax!
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I'd say you did damn well, kid. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Have two Keilwerth ST 90 altos, good student horn

·
Registered
210 Posts
Personal Update:
I ended up not buying a sax that was not one of my listed options. There was an ad on Kijiji (not sure if it exists in the USA but it's like Craigslist) that said "Second hand tenor saxophone" and the price listed was $500. I didn't mention it here (nor was I really interested in it) because it didn't have model named in the ad and it was a Jupiter (I had a bias against Jupiter at the time). The ad also said that it came with a Berg Larsen 110 2 M mpc., an Otto Link STM 7* and a Selmer C**. But I didn't end up getting all the money I wanted (I was selling a bunch of stuff online to get it but my most expensive item wasn't selling) so I emailed the owner and asked him for the model and serial numbers. He told be it was a JTS 789-787 and the SN started with A. I looked up the model and was surprised to learn that it's and intermediate level sax. I offered the owner $400 for it, expecting him to raise it to $450 and then me offering $425 (all the money I had). But, to my surprise, he said he'd take $400. So I went and tried it out and found it played well and had no issues besides a lack of lubrication on the keys and a screw missing. Because of the good condition I bought it.

The really interesting part of this was when my dad asked him why he was selling it. He said that he couldn't play anymore because once he was playing a show and he noticed that he couldn't see out of his left eye. He went to the hospital and was told he had a problem with his sinus that caused lesions in his brain when put under pressure. He then had to stop playing sax forever. He said that he kept it for so long because it had sentimental value for him because he used it professionally in the only jazz band in Nepal. I looked him up when I got home and found out that he was "a jazz saxophone prodigy" and was playing professionally before the age of 16.

Just thought some of you might be interested in my final decision and a sad story.

Thanks everyone for helping me out with this decision.

Martin
great buy and great story, Thanks for sharing and ENJOY

1 - 20 of 22 Posts