Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to talk to some people in the same shoes (or similar shoes) as me.
I'm a senior this fall and planning on double majoring in college in music performance/composition and psychology. I play baritone mainly, but alto and drum set are also becoming big parts of the act again as well.
Anyways, anyone else planning on music majoring in college? If so where? What are doing to get ready for auditions and what advice have you been given by people around you?
At the moment my top school is University of Vermont (both because their program and music scene is spectacular and I'm a ski bum from CO and want to continue to do that in college) and I'm audition "Moose the Mooche" and "Parker's Mood" both by Charlie Parker and two classical pieces (one being Bach's "Bouree I and II" from Cello Suite 4).

Allie

·
SOTW Administrator
26,247 Posts
Why psychology?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why psychology?
Two reasons: one, I think the human brain is really interesting and I'd like the opportunity to study psychoacoustics (the neurological responses to music and it affect medically and psychologically). Secondly, I'm pretty good at it and it serves as a plan B or a second source of income to facilitate my performing without starving (family's fear, understandably).

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think to get a good job in psychology you have to stay in school FOREVER. You also might want to check the audition requirements, and play to differing jazz standards. I played Blues for Alice and In a Sentimental Mood. You want to show them you can play different styles. I would also suggest to write out the first couple choruses of your solos. Play songs that your are comfortable with, It's better to shred on a blues than to play Countdown so-so. Some colleges have undergraduate programs in psychoacoustics, Ohio State does.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,247 Posts
No, you don't have to stay in school forever for psych, but if you want to make a living, a Bachelor's is a poor place to stop. You need a master's plus contact hours for clinical/counseling. For neuro, you need a PhD, although I agree that it's quite interesting, and is exactly where the field is going.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I'm audition "Moose the Mooche" and "Parker's Mood" both by Charlie Parker and two classical pieces (one being Bach's "Bouree I and II" from Cello Suite 4).
At the music scholarship/entrance audition, don't show them your weaknesses. Is your jazz playing outstanding? If not, you may wish to save the Parker tunes for the jazz band audition once you arrive to start school. Focus on quality, not quantity of audition material. Know your major and minor (all forms) scales thoroughly.

·
Clueless how he got this title
1,175 Posts
Well I will admit I did not get into music school (I was auditioning to become a music teacher on classical alto saxophone), but I am planning on trying again next year. I auditioned at Wayne State University and Western Michigan University which had two different audition requirements. Knowing your scales is important and also having good control over your instrument. From what I experienced both of the professors asked me to do different things for example one asked me to play a few scales and he also had me sight read a duet with him after I had played my audition piece, while the other asked me just play the two pieces I had prepared. The audition can be a nerve wracking experience but when it is all done just remember have fun and do your best. I hope this was kinda helpful.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
I know that in Canada if you want a good job you now need at least a master's level degree or equivalent Bacherlor/professsional designation in almost any field. I suspect it's likely true in the USA as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've already e-mailed the heads of each department about the audition requirements along with all the pieces that I'm rehearsing and, thankfully, they all gave me the go on what I've been working on. The Parker pieces are at my skill level, actually a little above which given the time I have to rehearse them, is great (I audition in January and most are recorded so I can send in a CD). The classical is definitely a strength, but I'm doing really well at soloing jazz as of late so I wouldn't necessarily call is a weakness.
The only issue is I'm getting really nervous thinking about live auditioning. Any advice to getting over the nerves?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've already e-mailed the heads of each department about the audition requirements along with all the pieces that I'm rehearsing and, thankfully, they all gave me the go on what I've been working on. The Parker pieces are at my skill level, actually a little above which given the time I have to rehearse them, is great (I audition in January and most are recorded so I can send in a CD). The classical is definitely a strength, but I'm doing really well at soloing jazz as of late so I wouldn't necessarily call is a weakness.
The only issue is I'm getting really nervous thinking about live auditioning. Any advice to getting over the nerves?
If they have seen many auditions, they will expect you to be nervous. Many professors are really good at spotting potential. Also, no matter how poorly you do, they've heard worse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts