Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So I am a combo leader at my high school jazz combo. We play pretty well together as we have everything worked out. Our soloing is pretty good and the rhythm section is pretty locked in. I was wondering what can I do to really improve my combo. I understand that it is kind of hard for you to give advice without actually hearing us, but like what would you usually do in combo? What do you work on as in like details? Also do you like also work on dynamics? And how would you place that in a song? We currently have down blue boss's, song for my father, st Thomas, moose the Moche, naima, tenor madness, a night in Tunisia, sugar, and autumn leaves. I know there's a bunch of stuff in here,but any advice is really appreciated. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Try writing an interesting arrangement of one of your tunes. You could feature one of your horn players or the rhythm section to change up the vibes. You could even write your own tune!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
^ +1
Have members write out arrangements of those tunes. Work with dynamics, rhythm styles, and maybe even part writing. The sky is the limit.
If everybody plays the melody and soos on every tune, then you have a lot of space for improvement.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
One thing that gets sidelined in young groups is listening to each other. Feed, and feed off of ideas to/from one another.

Think of the word "texture". Vary the texture of the arrangements or playing. Thin/thick, dark/bright, etc.

Use space and silence. The band doesn't have to make noise from the first to the last beat. Silence creates expectation. Then hit them with something creative.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts