Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help?

The best way i can describe the problem with my sax is that it sounds as thought i am playing with the octave key pressed. All the notes i play sound high, it will then go back to normal for a few notes then back to high pitched.
I'm learning to play an alto sax.:?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
JerryJamz2 said:
I'm learning to play an alto sax.:?quote]

So it could also be to do with the way you are playing it.

Get a good player/teacher to check the way you are playing it. And yes, get the sax checked, either by a technician or by an experienced player.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Jerry and Gordon are right on that there are many possible causes for your problem. A quick way to tell whether the problem is the way you are playing the sax is to play just what I call the "tone producer" which is just the neck and mouthpiece together. With the mouthpiece approximately halfway on the cork or where you normally tune the sax, play a longtone at forte and check the pitch with a tuner or piano. The pitch on this setup should be an Ab concert (Ab on the piano or tuner). Keep adjusting your embouchure till you can hold this pitch comfortably as a long tone at forte, and then try plaing the sax again with the same air and embouchure. If the sax behaves the same, you know it is the instrument and not you.

If you need some guidance on forming the embouchure and how much mouthpiece to put in the mouth, Bruce Pearson's link has some excellent information for a beginning player.

http://www.brucepearsonmusic.com/article/SaxEmbouchure.htm

Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts