Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day

A number of years ago I purchased two old Buescher Alto saxes. One being a True Tone low pitch alto which I had (have) every intention of having restored. The other, being approximately 20mm shorter and I believe is a high pitched, I used as an ornament in my living room. At a glance both saxes look identical. My low pitch alto serial number is 219208 which I believe places this in the realm of 1913 - 1914 as to year of manufacture. What I don't know is this... what exactly is a high pitched alto? As I have delivered this instrument to a sax friend who will take this for an appraisal later this week I don't have the serial number handy. Oh yeah, the shorter sax has a HP stamped on the front of the neck just above where it meets the body of the sax. I know what a C melody is but I have no idea what this High Pitched thing is. As I said, both saxes (the low & high pitch) look identical. Any elaboration upon precisely what this other instrument is would be great.

thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
your 219xxx alto dates to around 1926/7 and is probabaly what is called a series iv (does it have a roller on the G# key, or is it a pearl button?) a later 'True Tone' (the best ones). A high pitch horn does not play at modern low pitch (A=440) but instead plays at A=457...the one marked HP 'high Pitch' is not playable with other instruments today. It is a collectors item only

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
.......or a wall hanger .......or if you want to look at the positive side of things you can play it with tuneable instruments (strings, synthesisers) but it has very little commercial value anyway, perhaps some here would buy the neck.....

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.......or a wall hanger .......or if you want to look at the positive side of things you can play it with tuneable instruments (strings, synthesisers) but it has very little commercial value anyway, perhaps some here would buy the neck.....

Its interesting to hear you say that as the low pitch alto neck is not as snug a fit as the high pitch neck (which is in need of repair) in the high pitch body. The high pitch instrument also has a tube about 50mm long which fits into the sax body but this appears as an extender of some sort but it it not possible to attach anything to it. I really have no concept whatsoever what this would be.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Its interesting to hear you say that as the low pitch alto neck is not as snug a fit as the high pitch neck (which is in need of repair) in the high pitch body. The high pitch instrument also has a tube about 50mm long which fits into the sax body but this appears as an extender of some sort but it it not possible to attach anything to it. I really have no concept whatsoever what this would be.
pictures? the LP alto is a Series III True Tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
I don't know where I said that the neck wouldn't be a snug fit...........I merely suggested that someone could buy the neck
The tube that you call an extender has to be the end plug which is this model is a cylinder closed at one end.

Or perhaps you are saying that the neck is separated from the tenon (the part that goes in the sax) because it came undone?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your 219xxx alto dates to around 1926/7 and is probabaly what is called a series iv (does it have a roller on the G# key, or is it a pearl button?) a later 'True Tone' (the best ones). A high pitch horn does not play at modern low pitch (A=440) but instead plays at A=457...the one marked HP 'high Pitch' is not playable with other instruments today. It is a collectors item only
The woman I acquired this (low pitch alto) from stated that her father purchased it in Italy in the late 20s. It was blue (tarnished) when I got it so I stripped it, tore out the rusty springs, cleaned it up and its in pretty good shape apart from evident wear. It has also a little engraving (in a language I can't understand) beneath all the original fancy stuff. So yeah, Its all pretty straight.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know where I said that the neck wouldn't be a snug fit...........I merely suggested that someone could buy the neck
The tube that you call an extender has to be the end plug which is this model is a cylinder closed at one end.

Or perhaps you are saying that the neck is separated from the tenon (the part that goes in the sax) because it came undone?
No, my low pitch has a plastic bung which snugly fits into the sax body when the neck is removed. With the HP instrument, it came with a metal tube, about 50mm long, opened both ends and is the same dimension is the neck sleeve. Perhaps this simply serves the same purpose as the black plastic bung. I have no idea if either were originally supplied with the respective instruments. It does appear however that minor variations may exist with regards to the diameter of each neck.

I am pleased that you people have graciously answered my question, settled my curiosity and enlightened me with regards these two instruments. I suspect that the high pitched instrument will soon find its way back to the livingroom as the ornament it has been and the low pitch may find its way to a repairer for an appraisal soon. I am however a piano player having had my buescher aristocrat tenor stolen quite some years ago.

I may make attempts to photograph each end cap shortly.

thanks

regards

Glenn

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW - The serial number is actually 219203 not 219208. Its marked as True Tone with the Triangle and Tuning Fork and has gold plated inner bell. The neck, without brace, is stamped 1. I have just read the discussion (elsewhere here) and thought I would offer these additional points.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts