Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick question:

If the highest notes (everything above the C [edit: G5]) are not being produced properly (they come out one octave lower), is that a leak or a cup not opening enough?

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Which C are you talking about? Two ledger lines above the stave, or the one in just above the centre line of the stave?

If the latter, then soemthing is wrong with the opening of one or both of the octave key vents.

If the former...

More likely an embouchure/mouth cavity/air flow/air pressure issue, unless it is reed/embouchure. BTW, check that your ligature is tight.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Gordon --

thanks for your reply. I just checked, and all notes above G5 (? see below) are not coming out properly. They always play one octave lower, unless I overblow then. The mpc sits very tight.

I'll post another picture in a minute which illustrates the vents.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just made a picture playing a G5. When I go from a G5 to an A5 (and above), the octave key opens and the key with the arrow closes. Could it be that the key with the arrow has a problem? Look at the space above that cup, seems like it is not opening enough when I play a G5, and maybe there is a leak when I play notes above the G5?

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,031 Posts
What about G# I assume it is ok...?

Are you sure the neck octave key is open and the body octave key is closed when you actually play? Get a friend (or any stranger you find in the street) to hold the lower octave key closed and hold the neck octave open while you play the higher notes A A# B etc. and see if this makes them playable.

·
17,204 Posts
As clarnibass suggest.

"Look at the space above that cup, seems like it is not opening enough when I play a G5"

The space above the cup is not a problem, and the opening looks sufficient for G (and lower notes)

I suspect that either the lower one of those "octave vents" (on the body) is not being FULLY closed (when you play A), or that the upper octave vent hole (on the neck) is blocked.

If the problem is the latter, take the key off and use a pipe cleaner to clear the hole.

If it is the former, I would first check that when the G key fully opens, does it actually hit something, perhaps near its key cup, or does it open until the full force of its spring exerts closing pressure on the lower octave pad's cup.

If this is not your problem, then the cause could be from a whole range of possibilities in the octave mechanism, and probably should be left to a technician.

Otherwise, you may get some help from Post 5 at http://www.saxontheweb.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=312715

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gordon (NZ) said:
If the problem is the latter, take the key off and use a pipe cleaner to clear the hole.
That was it: the upper octave vent was blocked. I cleaned it and everything is working fine.

Thanks a LOT for your help!!

·
17,204 Posts
Great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts