Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. One of the things I really need to work on is my sound in the upper register, particularly in the palm keys, and ESPECIALLY getting my vibrato to actually work up there. Part and parcel to that is doing long tone exercises to get the notes to voice with a full, round sound, and while still keeping my embouchure loose.

Here's the rub:

I live in an apartment.

Middle or lower end of the range isn't so much of an issue on alto, but from about Bb 3 and above things can definitely start to get objectionable when it's not right. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to approach practicing long tones up there in such a way as to not invite the wrath of the neighbors?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,532 Posts
mouthpiece work, (or even better piece on neck work) with your hand closing over the end of the opening so very little air/sound get out. Just off the top of my head. K

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are a number of videos on Youtube that show you how to make your own sound booth. It can be as simple as hanging up some comforters on some rods or as complex as building a sound isolating booth. I think they are actually more effective on the top end, so it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If it's really hellacious to listen to, maybe do it for just a minute or two at a time, interspersed between longer stretches of more pleasing sounds.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The walls will block high frequencies more than low, as shown in this chart:
stc_wall_comparision.jpg

This site shows sax frequency ranges:
http://www.bobrk.com/saxfaq/2.1.html

If the neighbours have been OK with your normal playing, they are unlikely to complain about the high frequencies.

Putting thick, heavy clothes or pillows around your sax would help to cut the high frequencies before they even reach the walls.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts