Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own an intermediate soprano sax and am looking for a pro model. I have a pretty good idea on what models I want to choose from, but I was just wondering. Are there any benefits to buying a soprano sax without a high G key? (intonation, etc) Or is it just to save money?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,327 Posts
I have 'em both ways - even vintage sops that only go to F-3. But in MY view, the mark of a true gentleman - well, you get the idea. I NEVER play that high, but then again, I'm improvising so I have a choice in the matter. If you are reading music that is written that high, I suppose the high-G keying MAY be an advantage, although some claim that altissimo fingerings may be equal. If I happen to be in the room when you play those notes, a bit of forewarning would be appreciated.

As far as a horn's playability and intonation, it never bothered me when that keywork was present. DAVE

·
Registered
432 Posts
Altissimo G is so easy to play on soprano that I don't see the need for the extra key. But it wouldn't stop me from buying a horn if it were one that worked on all other fronts for me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Yep,

Not really a needed extra. I wouldn't let that be my deciding factor on buying a new sop.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,060 Posts
High G=dead dogs
No High G=no dead dogs

Its your choice!

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,209 Posts
I can't even get use to having a high F# key. G pops out pretty easy without the key. I vote extra.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
I was using the altissimo fingering for G-3 on tenor and then got my AW 590 with the G-3 key. I started using the key frequently and now I don't play G-3 on the tenor because I mess it up. My mind "stumbles" as I fight between the key that's not there and the fingering that I have forgotten. But I play mainly sop now and use the keys for those notes frequently such as in the series E, G, E, C, A... all played very fast and all octave 3.

My dogs run to the far end of the house but so far I have not killed any.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts