Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does high F# important in a Baritone? If there is not high F# key, is it reasonably easy to get this note out by altissimo fingering?

I asked because a Jupiter 589GL may not have this high F# key (though it have low A key).

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,247 Posts
I don't even have a high E key on my bari and I can get F#3 rather easily. It's not a difficult harmonic to work so long as you know how to blow to get altissimo. The low end is much more important anyhow with these horns.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
It's going to be mostly up to you how important it is to play that note, because you (hopefully) won't see any high F#s written for baritone.

I would certainly never write a high F# for baritone.

When playing baritone I tend to use the notes it's best at, the low ones, but F# is a very easy note to get without a dedicated F# key, just play a top F (with the aux key) and add the side Bb and possibly the RH F (1st finger).

If you don't have an aux F, use a fake aux F, (Finger A and open the palm F with your 3rd finger). I'm not sure Grumps is doing it, but there are obviously other fingerings also.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
I've never seen it written (F# 3) although I'm sure it's written somewhere. High F# responds easily using the fingerings mentioned above and others. Don't worry about it. Concentrate on a nice full bottom end, which is where you'll probably spend a lot of time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,247 Posts
If you don't have an aux F, use a fake aux F, (Finger A and open the palm F with your 3rd finger). I'm not sure Grumps is doing it, but there are obviously other fingerings also.
With my Conn Wonder only keyed up to Eb3, I use octave, left hand 1 2 3, right hand 1 and side Bb. With the limited keywork, F#3 is even easier than getting an altissimo E3 or F3 on my bari.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
I don't find a need for the high F sharp key on Bari. I have a couple of altos and tenors that have it and I think my soprano does as well. Rarely use it because I'm used to getting there without the key.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Guess it's unanimous..... Oh wait, I kinda LIKE the damn key! As I am not nearly as accomplished as most of you here, I never learned how to reach altissimo notes. A lot of stuff I am asked to play is in A. Having that F# to run up to is quite handy without worrying about alternate fingerings. So there you go.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ok I'll bite. I think it's a good thing to have a high F#. It has a few other uses besides playing F#. As a trill key for high D/F, as an alternate E in the middle register (mostly a legit player thing), as an alternate venting key besides the high F key, and probably some others I don't know about yet. I'm working on a pretty hard piece that involves some bari altissimo. It would be much harder without the F# key.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts