Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played alto for several years as a young teenager. Now at 50+ I decided that I wanted to play sax again and pulled out the alto. It didn't take but a couple of months to get back to the same level of playing that I was at when a teen. I bought a tenor, had some leaks fixed and other adjustments and am now trying to get to the same level of playing as I am currently at with my Alto.

My problem is that I can usually run up to high F (palm keys) when playing scales, but I can't play a High F when playing music. My set up is a Yamaha YTS 23, Hite Premier mouthpiece, Vandoren Java 2 reeds.

Do I just need to give it some more time? Switch to a different MP maybe with a smaller tip opening until my skills improve? Different reed strength?

Any other ideas?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,650 Posts
also, once you have adjusted to the harder reeds, try taking in more mouthpiece. When you go playing higher up you might tend to tighten you embouchure a little bit too much and if you only have a little bit of mouthpiece in your mouth (as so many people do!) and you use too soft reeds, you will choke the reed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going to a 2.5 from a 2 did it! Thanks, folks! Started learning to play overtones today...Wow! I thought you had to key every note before! Nobody taught overtones in the 1970's; at least not in public school band.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It's interesting to hear your story as mine is very similar and I bet very common amoungst those who post here. I'm in my mid 40s and played alto in the 80s, stopped for 20 years, recently purchased a tenor and restored/repadded it myself. I too am currently working on overtones (about 2 weeks into it) and have only managed a F# in altissimo. So I will be interested to hear how you progress. I'm using Vandoren 2.5's but will probably try a 3 in the hope of helping with the altissimo. My horn is a USA Conn shooting star and I think I have a standard mouthpiece that would have been supplied with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts