Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the high F# on my SIII tenor completely removed. The key, rods, posts will all be removed. The tone hole will be gone. I will keep everyone posted and will have pictures when it is finished.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Because he's another who believes in old wive's tales that a sax sounds better without a high F#. My alto and tenor don't have high F#s and they're not expensive saxes like Selmers. Obviously he has more money than sense, to buy an overpriced sax and then spend more money getting it mauled. :|

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
I had thought about having this done to my Ref 36, but I think you could plug the hole smooth with the bore and have the same affect as completely removing the high F#.

On thing though is that if you had the option of not having a high F# it would remove a bit of weight from the horn by the time you took all of the posts and keys. I have no idea why selmer ever put the high F# on their horns in the first place.

SplitTony how much did it cost and please post pictures when it's done.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
'That danged automatic octave mechanism! I'm gonna ask 'em to put the other one back on!'... 'Those sonofagun palm keys! I'm gonna get 'em all removed!'... 'What the hell, I'll get ALL the holes filled in!'... then you'll have the exhaust pipe for a motorcycle, which is what Yamaha make their saxes out of anyway - leftover exhausts :shock: :D Just a joke, some of my best friends are Yamahas!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heath said:
I had thought about having this done to my Ref 36, but I think you could plug the hole smooth with the bore and have the same affect as completely removing the high F#.

On thing though is that if you had the option of not having a high F# it would remove a bit of weight from the horn by the time you took all of the posts and keys. I have no idea why selmer ever put the high F# on their horns in the first place.

SplitTony how much did it cost and please post pictures when it's done.
Thanks Heath for the post. Yes you can just plug the hole and leave the key on. But you know you want none of the other stuff on there:) I have had the horn for a while now and don't use the high F# key at all. It is something I wanted to do for a while and found a way to do it. In another post you talked about Selmer making an exact copy. I think in some ways this will come really close. It will be by no means mauled. It will look like it was never there. Plus it will give me 8 octaves and a fuller sound.:D

In the end the real reason I am getting it done is due to the fact, I love "old wives tales". And since my lack of good sense and a fat wallet (which I don't have) decided to drop the $100 to get it done. Sorry, but I had to acknowledge the fact that Saxplayer67 had me pegged from the start.:(

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,206 Posts
Ok the sax and the money is yours (you don't only have to consider the 100$ to "fix " it, but also di diminished value of your horn should you ever decide to sell it....), if you think that a high F# is damaging your acoustics all that much. Yet, I think, it would be probably easier to find a older Selmer without a high F#! Oh yes, that's right, it will cost a lot more than 100$ extra but then you have a Sax that is probably going to be worth more in time and probably has a better sound to begin with.....but money is yours! Then.... what do you exactly mean by it will look like it was never there? Are you saying that the whole job will leave no traces? If that is so 100$ is a miracle because (I am no technician by all means) removing the posts, filing, soldering and filling the whole left, requires, at the very least, a relaquer job (how do you know this is not going to affect the sound?), if you want to show nothing of the ordeal which your horn is going to endure.

it takes all sorts....:)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
First off I am not worried about the depreciation. I am going to keep the horn.
Milandro I own a VI that is my main horn. I know that there is a bunch of us that wish Selmer made a horn with no F#. I have a III and someone who can do a super clean job removing the key. I know there will be some small blemishes. Lacquer will be put back in the spots where it was removed from and buffed to make it look as clean as possible.
I know this may sound crazy but I thought some my find it interesting. I know people thought about doing it. Someone else may want to try. To me it's as crazy as someone who gets the key put on.

awholley- It will not effect it. It is a flush seam.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
5,122 Posts
SplitTony said:
First off I am not worried about the depreciation. I am going to keep the horn.
Milandro I own a VI that is my main horn. I know that there is a bunch of us that wish Selmer made a horn with no F#. I have a III and someone who can do a super clean job removing the key. I know there will be some small blemishes. Lacquer will be put back in the spots where it was removed from and buffed to make it look as clean as possible.
I know this may sound crazy but I thought some my find it interesting. I know people thought about doing it. Someone else may want to try. To me it's as crazy as someone who gets the key put on.
I'll be interested in hearing about the results, as well as seeing some pics
uploaded to your photo album .

Is Ken doing the work on this one, also ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,206 Posts
I wish you all the best, really! Anyway I believe that it takes a lot of trust in oneselves gut feeling to do that but again, the money and the horn is yours and perhaps you will find an entirely new way to make a horn play better or worse, whichever way it goes. You probably like experimenting with things and who am I to prevent you doing that on your money..... .

However, at this point, I am curious of what is that you expect to find there where you are going, I mean, having a Mark VI which, I believe has no high F#, do you think that doing what you are going to do, will make a Mark VI of your III? If not, why? Doing it won't add anything to the sax world ( you have a VI and the cash buy another VI I take). If yes, do you think that what you want is perhaps the mechanics of the III and a sound as close as possible to a Mark VI?

Otherwise, beside the innovative thinking and proving everybody else's wrong, I don't see the point.

I am an iconoclast (would you believe it from my comments?) of the "underdog " persuasion so....I never went Selmer....until I could afford one... (so I am obviously jealous of somebody who has TWO and is about to wreck one...:twisted: ) anyway, I must admit that these beasts have something special. I just acquired a Mark VII (I told you about the underdog thing....) very affordable indeed. Can't think I would have the F# removed.

Look forward to see and (mainly) hear the difference (I would appreciate a full range of sound clips to show your horn sound capabilities before and after the "cure" so to speak)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Saxplayer67 said:
Ermmm I don't mean to harp on but why not just buy a sax without a high F# in the first place, if it causes such a problem?
Because it would cost a lot more than $100. Typical VI without high F# would cost at least $4K. No reason to freak out on Tony, this job can be done as even Tenor Madness does it, but it cost more for the work.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.