Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a minuscule leak on the high F on my bari. However, due to its location on the neck, it affects about 2/3 of the notes I play.
I don't have a car and dread having to carry that huge thing in the crowded subway + stairs. Is there a way to safely bend it or adjust it so it seals properly?

Much appreciated!

L

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,522 Posts
Impossible to diagnose this from a distance.

Of course it can be fixed. Probably easy.
Cannot say from here exactly what to do.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,098 Posts
The high F being a sprung closed key should be easy enough to rectify if pad just needs a little alignment.
Sometimes as easy as gently heating keycup to a point where shellac/glue is softened and then allowing key to close while still hot.
You could even just leave key closed whilst heating if you’re careful.
Often this is enough to close small leaks.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,799 Posts
Just for grins, check this; press the front F button and spot the lever that opens the palm F. Check to see if the cork or whatever on the lever is too thick and is not letting the F close all the way. This is not likely unless somebody worked on it recently but it doesn't hurt to look. If its simply a bad pad, you could jam a cork under the works so it couldn't open and get through some gigs or whatever until you can get it fixed. Just don't plan on playing that note.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,799 Posts
I forgot another great old trick - if its an old dried-out pad that's just not sealing, rub some Vaseline on it to get through the night.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I forgot another great old trick [ . . .redacted . . .], rub some Vaseline on it to get through the night.
That's what s/he said . . .

(sorry, couldn't resist)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,390 Posts
Hello. I have a minuscule leak on the high F on my bari. However, due to its location on the neck, it affects about 2/3 of the notes
If the F hole is located on the neck :|...you Bari has much larger problems than you think....:dazed:

:bluewink:

Well, what you gotta do is get a leak light, likely remove a key somewhere (I vote for the keycup of the side C), stick light in there UP the body tube until it is behind the F-hole, and find the leak.

Then, you could use an improvised pad slick (say a butter knife ?) to slip under the F keycup at a point 180 degrees opposite the leak, and bend the cup a bit down towards the tonehole right at the leaky area.

OR, this:

The high F being a sprung closed key should be easy enough to rectify if pad just needs a little alignment.
Sometimes as easy as gently heating keycup to a point where shellac/glue is softened and then allowing key to close while still hot.
You could even just leave key closed whilst heating if you’re careful.
Often this is enough to close small leaks.
Of course, if you have never done such things before, a much wiser course of action would be a quick tech visit.

BTW, Lu....a member for 17 years and this is your 7th post ? That may be some sorta record....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts