Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... is it just me ... if you need a F# or G key on your sax to play those notes, you're probably not someone i want to hear play those notes anyway? A high G key key on a soprano? Really?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I had the pleasure of having lunch with a group of folks including Fred Hemke. The discussion turned to the soon-to-be-released selmer Mk VII. One of the folks at the table asked Fred if it would have a rumored 'altissimo' key. He replied, "Saxes already have an altissimo key."

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
High F# is something I've never really bother with, I prefer to use the old altissimo fingering.

But, I have a high G on my soprano, it is great because I find the altissimo G on soprano very difficult. But I don't mind if I'm someone you don't want to hear play.

·
6,831 Posts
For me, I like the high F# on Tenor, but prefer not to have it on Alto (I've had both, on both). My alto chops are way better than my Tenor chops, so I find myself gravitating back to the high F# feature on Tenor (hence the Couf Souperba II Tenor I now own).

On Alto, I've owned 2 w/high F#, and 3 w/out, and I've found I prefer the ones w/out.

Soprano, I've owned one w/high F#, and played 2 w/high G, and own one that only goes to high F. For me, altissimo G is so easy on a modern soprano, the high G key isn't needed except in a trill (a-la classical reportoire). My old Conn soprano (high F) has some off harmonics, and I haven't yet figured out where high G and A is yet, but the upper harmonics is easier than modern sopranos (the "trumpet screamer" notes!).

·
3,202 Posts
I've got a high F# key on soprano, it helps, I like it. I wish I had a g, I can get it but it would be nice to have the key. I don't suck to bad on soprano, I'm not Joe Viola (that's for sure, he could play way up there) but my sound is ok. Don't need them on tenor.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My favorite fingering for playing high g on tenor involves using the high f# key. I can use other fingerings but thats the one Ive gravitated toward. I dont think using a high f# or g key implies a lack of skill. Its just another tool.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
... is it just me ... if you need a F# or G key on your sax to play those notes, you're probably not someone i want to hear play those notes anyway? A high G key key on a soprano? Really?
This statement is what is ridiculous, not the alternate F# or G keys or their users.

So, the answer to your question is: it is just you.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
IMO the more options to get a note the better ,,,,, a different fingering option if one want's. Maybe one is easier to play a sustained in pitch high note than another fingering or whatever.

I really don't understand the reason for the judgmental sidebar in the opening to this thread.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I play high G-C on soprano, and I don't even have a front F. You just play the horn. Oddly enough, the horn does have a high f#. My other horns don't. I always forget about the F# key, though.

Of course, real men play sax with two octave keys, the way A. Sax intended!:twisted:

·
3,202 Posts
I play high G-C on soprano, and I don't even have a front F. You just play the horn. Oddly enough, the horn does have a high f#. My other horns don't. I always forget about the F# key, though.

Of course, real men play sax with two octave keys, the way A. Sax intended!:twisted:
Fill us in on the two octave key thing, I'm not up on the specs on Adolph's original models. (Haven't seen any on e-bay lately anyway.)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Fill us in on the two octave key thing, I'm not up on the specs on Adolph's original models. (Haven't seen any on e-bay lately anyway.)
We modern folks use this 'automatic octave key' mechanism. Adolphe's saxes have two keys, one for D2-G#2, another for A2 and above.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts