Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a YAS-280 and the alternate high F or high E are not coming out. I can get high D to high F# using palm keys but when I use the alternate fingering (pearl F), the sax wheezes a low note. Any tips. I checked the tone hole and key and it seems to be opening when I press the key.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are the first altissimo notes and have to be voiced a bit differently.
Thanks for the response. When you say voicing, do I have to make my mouth the same shape as when I try to get a higher overtone whilst fingering a low note?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are the first altissimo notes and have to be voiced a bit differently.
Thanks for the help. I tried the high F today and changed the voicing as if to get a higher overtone and it worked!!!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Try playing high C forte, and then doubling the speed of the air when you add the front F key. This changes the air speed and the voicing at the same time. When you can get the F to speak, hold it as a long tone. When the F is solid add the 3rd finger to produce an E and hold that as a long tone to get the "taste" of that note as well. In some cases if the front F key doesn't open the F palm key enough the front F becomes difficult to make speak and the front E even more so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try playing high C forte, and then doubling the speed of the air when you add the front F key. This changes the air speed and the voicing at the same time. When you can get the F to speak, hold it as a long tone. When the F is solid add the 3rd finger to produce an E and hold that as a long tone to get the "taste" of that note as well. In some cases if the front F key doesn't open the F palm key enough the front F becomes difficult to make speak and the front E even more so.
thank you for this

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
I usually adjust the front F by fingering A2 and slowly opening the palm F until it speaks well. Generally I find that if the palm F opens only about half way it works best. Easy to adjust.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
This may be an obvious question but just to make sure, you know you have to press both the front F and the C pearl, right? Using both index and middle fingers. If you press the front F key alone you get an altissimo G, although that’s a bit unstable and a hard to produce G.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts