Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! :)

I'm interested to hear expert bari player's opinions about "high end" vintage mpcs. My setup is currently '67 The Martin bari with Brilhart Tonalin mpc (w/Rico Select Jazz 3S).
I haven't measured the tip opening yet, but it feels about same size as modern Meyer 7M. I like very much the lush and round tone that setup produces but
I'm still missing some 'edge' when playing louder. For example Meyer gives some of that edge but is totally lacking the same sweetness of the tone.

I'm particularly interested to hear comparisons to MC Gregory mpcs, Otto Link Slant signature and Brilhart Streamline Tonalin. And with all respect, I'm a professional
SAT player, so I'd like to keep the conversation in fine details of these mpcs, excluding comments like "practise harder" and "it's all about the player" :)

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I currently play a Slant sig. I deffinitely think its worth it. I bought it just to see and was very prepared to resell after giving it a go. I used to play modern Tone Edge, Vandoren B75, Vandoren V16 B7, Phil Barone modified tone Edge (apparently its the Ronny Cuber mod), and an Aizen slant reproduction. All of these are great mouthpieces. But my original slant is amazing. Lots of depth and as much brightness as I need.

I use it in big bands and a funk band. Its just fine in both situations for me.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
+1 on the original slant - - mine is an original 5* that Brian Powell opened up to .120" Tons of fat core, but no shortage of 'zing' on top of the sound -- easy and strong altissimo. Perfect on my Serie III or on a VI. On my 1945 12M, I actually am preferring an original Conn Comet that Paul Coats opened up to .100" for me -- being a Conn mpc, it tunes ideally on the horn, and maintains what I hear as the core 12M sound. Finally, just acquired an original Florida 7* STM, and it really works great on the Conn, and I'll soon try it on the Selmer. I had a Gregory at one time, but found it dull and lifeless -- and I have a few Tonalins, but haven't played them in years, as I didn't like them right off the bat. They sounded puny compared to the Slant, for sure. Hope that helps!

Almost forgot -- have you tried a Metalite? M7 or M9 are both remarkably good on both my baris, and a steal at twice (or thrice) the price!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate your help! I guess I have to find out if the slant is "the mpc" also for me :) I have tried Rico Graftonite and it didn't work for me at all.
I'll try to find Metalite in music stores nearby to give it a shot. Sadly, the availability of bari mpcs is very bad here where I live, so I might have to order one via internet.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,167 Posts
I have been using a Slant 7 for years, nothing really comes close for warmth smoothness and bite when you need it. I had copies made as I would not be able to face life without it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,080 Posts
Years ago I had a slant Link 6* for my VI low A bari and it was the perfect setup. The downside is that you will probably pay over $1,000 if you can find one. It didn't work all that well on my old Zephyr however. In a pinch you can test your luck with a new Link HR and have it reworked.

·
Registered
692 Posts
+1 on the Metalite M9: I got one last week and it outplays the vintage hard rubber Berg Larsen 120/1/M I've been using for years (my horn is a Mk.VI w/ low A)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts