Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking into a high baffle mouthpiece to get a more projecting and edgy tone and got volume when I'm playing in amplified settings, but I've heard that higher baffle mouthpieces are easier to play, so larger tip openings are suggested. At the moment, I'm playing a Meyer 5M, so my question is, what tip opening on a Lebayle Studio Metal would give me around the same resistance as the Meyer 5M?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 6 according to Lebayle is a .70 tip opening whereas the Meyer 5M is a .71. I'm not so sure that that will be very similar in terms of resistance. In any case, I'm trying to move up in tip opening, not downwards.
Thanks for the reply!
-Alex

·
Registered
660 Posts
Are you planning to order one online without having played high baffle pieces before?
Like mfry said: too many variables.

The way I see it:
Higher baffle needs larger tip so you can use a softer reed to get a fatter sound. Which then asks for more control, cause the pitch becomes more variable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,217 Posts
I cant answer on the Lebayle but when I sell my Rift which is not super high in baffle I suggest at least 1 step up.

for folks playing a 5 I generally suggest a .078 which is a hair over a 6. I find six a tad small, at least in my piece.

·
13,217 Posts
Thanks guys. While I cant claim to be neutral the Rift is far more complex sounding and still has power to spare over most other baffled alto pieces.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phil, your website says the new Rift will be hard rubber. Will the Metal Rifts still be available or will it just be hard rubber Rifts from this point forward?
Also, do you have a return/ refund policy for your mouthpieces?

·
13,217 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds good. Do you have any policies for returns/ refunds?

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Like mfry said: too many variables.

The way I see it:
Higher baffle needs larger tip so you can use a softer reed to get a fatter sound. Which then asks for more control, cause the pitch becomes more variable.
Yes, it is that complex when trying to describe it. It is a matter of balancing all those things and it is particular to player, horn and concept.
Don't think you'll nail it first time out of the gate, sight unseen (sound unheard?).

Make an informed decision and go from there, learning as you go. Avoid "paralysis by analysis" as well.

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
I would start with a .006" larger tip on a high baffle vs a low baffle alto mouthpiece. But how high is high? Facing length and curve shape also affect the playing resistance. You could need more/less to feel similar with the same reed choice. Plus, you may need a different reed cut anyways for best results. Those are most of the variables.

·
6,831 Posts
My personal experience (YMMV), I play a Drake Contemporary .085, but a Drake Ceramic Custom (rollover, Medlarge chamber) in an .080 . Both have a similar feel in resistance, though the high baffle piece is brighter than the rollover (exactly the contrast I needed between the two pieces :) ) . I play the same BARI* med reed on both :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts