Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi My name is Sonu, and a bit late in life I have decided to try to learn to play the saxophone.
Now I am in the UAE , Dubai and getting a good quality Sax is proving difficult.My online research has made me more confused than I was before.
I dont want a cheap one as I am informed that it will fall apart in time and it is not repairable.
I do not want some expensive branded ones, I want a beginners sax, that will have a good sound and is easy to play.
I really wouldn't mind getting an used one, if someone can vouch for its condition.
As I dont know any thing about saxophones , it is proving very difficult to make a decision.
So I ask someone for help in getting one .
Iam scared about getting an used one without seeing it or getting a second opinion.

I request someone to kindly guide me.

Thanks
Sonu

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts
I dont want a cheap one as I am informed that it will fall apart in time and it is not repairable.
You cannot believe everything people tell you, there are some great cheap altos out there. Try a Jericho for instance, every bit as good as a Yamaha IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi Thanks for the replies! I checked out Jericho, and they seem to have good and favorable reviews+ price. Let me check it out properly.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I agree that there are a lot of good cheap altos. Where you live may be important. It looks like Jericho is an Asian import to the UK.

If in the US, you might do well with Kessler, WWBW or others. Check the dealer evaluations section of this forum.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts
I agree that there are a lot of good cheap altos. Where you live may be important. It looks like Jericho is an Asian import to the UK.

If in the US, you might do well with Kessler, WWBW or others. Check the dealer evaluations section of this forum.
Yes, but in Dubai it makes little difference, you're at the mercy of a very dodgy postal system anyway.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
So, can you tell I skimmed past the Dubai part??

Are there any music stores in Dubai?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi! thanks for the bit. In Dubai it is the lack of quality that is a big problem , here everything is a rip off attitude. and the instruments I have seen are mainly Chinese or great brands at cut throat prices. The spectrum in between these two extremes is missing. The services in Dubai is I can say on par or as good as the other developed countries , and I feel the postal system is good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi
yes there are many music stores in Dubai, but I have seen only the cheap ones and the very expensive ones. No place in between for requirements such as mine

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,445 Posts
I have been in Dubai a few times and I was surprised to see that most music shops really sell, indeed as OP says, mostly Chinese instruments despite this being a very wealthy city.

Moreover, I am not aware of many technicians in Dubai, so buying a vintage horn would offer some concrete concerns.

Anyway, one can import instruments from abroad but it will be, as always when buying an instrument that you cannot try, a little bit of a gamble.

Of course, asking for a purchase advise on a forum like this will return, sooner or later, all the names on the market and you still won’t necessarily be any wiser then that you are now.

I will tell you that my opinion is that if you want a good horn that you would buy abroad without trying, the best thing you can do is to buy a new horn, because of the particular predicament that you are in, the apparent lack of technicians in Dubai.

The horns which offer the best guarantee to be reaching you in perfect playing state, out of the box, have to be the Yanagisawas or Yamahas.

But then again you said that you don’t want an expensive brand. Yamaha has reasonably priced models while Yanagisawa is more expensive.

Buying a not too used secondhand Yanagisawa or Yamaha however is a reasonable bet. They tend to be very well made and stay in adjustment.

You could, otherwise buy a vintage horn from a trustworthy seller here.

The problem of not having access to a repairer though, makes it a little tricky because vintage horns require, often times, some extra attention at some stage and that will be a problem there.

Good luck.

In case you choose to buy on line I can recommend a Dutch shop, Matthews, they ship everywhere.and have an Ebay shop as well as a physical one

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=matthewsmusic

this other shop (officially from Belgium) is, as far as I know, run by the same people but specialize in Yamaha too

http://www.ebay.com/sch/davyholland/m.html

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Good logic from milandro.
I think you should buy a Taishan from Top_eseller on ebay. Good quality and cheap. Free shipping. I have had two Taishan horns and they have both been great. There is many positive experiences and comments on this board and nearly no bad comments.

·
41,445 Posts
Taishan seems to have good press. I have never seen a Jollysun that was not giving problems to their players. A friend of mine started 5 years a go to buy the colored ones and, since he is a repairer, had to take care of them all prior to selling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Everyone!
Taishan is from China and it seems one was presented to President Clinton.
well then it must be good, Wonder what it will cost.
And the coincidence is that I will be in China Beijing and Shanghai from the 26th to the 3rd 2014. So I feel I should have enough time to wander around ,, their bullet trains are really good and cheap to travell around , So I need to find out how to reach their factory. Iam sure it is going to be fun.

·
41,445 Posts
Well, if someone wants to be in the news they will find it very easy indeed to achieve that by simply donating a saxophone to Mr. Clinton (who wouldn’t refuse a gift because he will never do such a thing) or any other important person, but, that, I am afraid is no guarantee for the quality of the Taishan saxophones.

I would rely more on the fact that other people have bought some and found it ok or even god.

Now one question, what makes you think that a Taishan, a Chinese sax, would be any better than similarly cheap and similarly Chinese saxophones that you can buy in the shops in Dubai?

To me, the best thing then would be to go to any such shop and try the saxophones, at least you would try before you try.

Buy a saxophone on line has ALWAYS an element of risk!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi,
we have a lot of Chinese products here in Dubai, I have seen china and the quality they can produce if they wish so. Today most of the phones and electronics that the world uses have been assembled in china, with various parts that have been wholly manufactured there. So it is possible for them to come up with quality .
Each Chinese products cater to different segments of the market demand ( when the market is divided by price bands ) .
Now since I will be in China for quite some time , and have to pass by ShanDong , Home of the Taishan, Why Not Check it out
Nothing to lose ,
May be it is better than getting one online where I will have to live with decisions made by some one else.
But again please I need your views and pointers , all these opinions and views is really helping me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts