Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade from a student Elkhart Tenor to a Yanagisawa T901 Tenor.I was using a Selmer Goldentone 3 sized mouthpiece which sounded terrible.Just wanted to find out about getting the same size facing and baffle only with a Berg Larsen steal mouthpiece.Does anybody have suggestions on similar sizes etc.Thanks!

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
So welcome to SOTW, Buteras. Please introduce yourself in the new members area.

So, you're upgrading from one intermediate horn to another -- albeit one with better ergonomics. :)

I'm not certain what the tip and chamber of an old Selmer 3 are, but I'm quite certain it's a really closed piece. Most people are looking for more open pieces, and something that closed may actually be hard to come by in a new piece. Have you considered getting something like a VD Optimum TL3 or TL4? Pretty standard pieces by today's standards, not horribly expensive, and will probably serve you well for many years.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,953 Posts
If it's a high baffler Larsen, then that tip opening would be very unusual. Even without the baffle, it's rather narrow for a Larsen.

Also, be aware that you shouldn't directly compare tip,openings across brands/models as the facing curve length has just as much to do with the response/resistance of the mouthpiece.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
Use the Yanagisawa 5 that comes with the horn. It's as good as any. BTW the 901 isn't a student horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
Agree that the Yanagisawa is a good horn.
will propose for you to test as many mouthpieces before settling on one. do not be too brand conscious.
enjoy your journey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks great!Thanks for your help on Berg Larsen mouthpieces.Much appreciated.Are you Pete Thomas?Got your DVD a few years ago and found it very helpful on doing scales!Cheers!

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Buteras - just a caution. Of practically any of the name mouthpieces out there, Bergs have probably the worst reputation for quality control. If you are interested in getting a Berg mainly due to who has played one in the past, and based on reputation, you may be in for a disappointment. You should definitely not buy one unless you can play it first.

Although you will not get one, definitive recommendation, I think you would do well if you posted what kind of playing you do, what level you consider yourself and what kind of sound you are after, maybe even giving ONE name player you want to sound like. The number one contender still might be a Berg, but then again, if 8 out of 10 recommendations are for a Link style mpc, that should tell you something, too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
If you do want to check out a Berg, I would suggest getting a hard rubber one first. They are cheaper than the metal ones, and (because Gary is right about their erratic quality control) they are easier to have refaced to play properly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
I second using the Yanagisawa HR mouthpice, if you got one with the horn. If not, buy one; used in good shape is as good as new. Probably a 5 would work fine for you. These are well made under rated mouthpieces, IMO. I would stay away from Bergs, even though I own some good ones. The new ones are inconsistant and the old ones are expensive. As far as your T901 is concerned, it'll take you anywhere you are capable of going. These are nice horns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts