Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Sakkusu Alto Deluxe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just ordered my first sax...a Sakkusu Alto Deluxe. Looking forward to receiving it and learning to play. Would love to hear from other Sakkusu users. I'm 63...maybe a bit late in life to begin...but hoping it will help me through these difficult times :)

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just ordered my first sax...a Sakkusu Alto Deluxe. Looking forward to receiving it and learning to play. Would love to hear from other Sakkusu users. I'm 63...maybe a bit late in life to begin...but hoping it will help me through these difficult times :)
I really hope you enjoy learning. It can bring a lot of joy :)
Tim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome to the sax! It can be a wonderful life-long journey, no matter when in your life you pick it up! I've never used that particular brand, but I wanted to offer some quick general advice: If your horn is being shipped to you, I highly recommend you take it to a local sax technician for a quick check-up. It's very common for saxes to get bumped out of alignment when UPS/FedEx/whoever tosses them around. Since you're brand new to the sax, it may be really hard to tell the difference between something that's difficult due to lack of skill, or difficult due to some damage.

·
Registered
Sakkusu Alto Deluxe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the sax! It can be a wonderful life-long journey, no matter when in your life you pick it up! I've never used that particular brand, but I wanted to offer some quick general advice: If your horn is being shipped to you, I highly recommend you take it to a local sax technician for a quick check-up. It's very common for saxes to get bumped out of alignment when UPS/FedEx/whoever tosses them around. Since you're brand new to the sax, it may be really hard to tell the difference between something that's difficult due to lack of skill, or difficult due to some damage.
Unfortunately I don't have any tech's near me...so hoping they pack it well. DPD are pretty good in the UK

·
Registered
Martin Indiana tenor sax. Yamaha 5 C mouthpiece, Rico Metalite 7 mouthpiece. Use synthetic reeds.
170 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I started a few months ago too. Will be 65 years old in May. Enjoying learning more than I did trumpet. Has helped me through these times.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
So nice to hear from a new player! I think you'll find this forum very useful. I sure wish there was a resource like this back when I started! I hope learning and playing the sax brings you as much joy as it does me.

·
Registered
YAS875-EX/Eastman ETS-640/YBS-52
72 Posts
Sakkusu is the Sax.co.uk brand, right? I would see if you can find a day to make it out there and have it checked out- I am sure they would be happy to since it is their proprietary instrument. The days I wish I had a tech close to me when I was in college linger in my thoughts reading your comments, but my closest tech was 180 miles away. Hopefully yours is a bit closer!

Reactions: DaveTee

·
Registered
307 Posts
40 year break?? Ouch! lol
50 year professional musician (Guitar) Started with guitar 1970 then flute 1972. My father loved jazz and bought me a beater tenor in 1976 but it disintegrated pretty quickly and I never replaced it. I actually love the sax more than the guitar and finally came in to some money which allowed me to buy a nice tenor....then an alto....then another tenor....then another alto.....then a clarinet.....then a better flute...... :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, 51 year old here, 35 years singing and playing professionally, but have never so much as held a sax. Like you, I'm also waiting on saxophones to arrive! The black one is a Tenor, and certainly not my first choice colour-wise, but it is in the country and has been inspected. The other is a Soprano, very similar in styling to your sax, and very much my choice of colour, however, it's factory direct from China, so it may well need attention. Welcome to the forum, I've been reading posts since Christmas and still haven't run out! :)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hi and welcome to SOTW, congrats on your new horn purchase, I to started playing late in life @ 57 years old, I can say it's been a wonderful journey, find a teacher and get some lessons the benefits will be huge, above all have patience and enjoy the journey,

·
Registered
Sakkusu Alto Deluxe
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi and welcome to SOTW, congrats on your new horn purchase, I to started playing late in life @ 57 years old, I can say it's been a wonderful journey, find a teacher and get some lessons the benefits will be huge, above all have patience and enjoy the journey,
That will be a problem...on a pension now...but may be able to afford the odd 30min lesson. Anyway...will have to wait till the lockdown is over.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Learning to play music on saxophone is a real joy. Singing thru a wind instrument is still one of the most enjoyable acoustic pleasures. Sax is not easily synthesized with electronics because it's can sound much like a human voice . Have fun expressing your very own musical voice. I wrote a book on playing jazz as a musical language fun and easy for beginners. Enjoy sax my friend.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
That will be a problem...on a pension now...but may be able to afford the odd 30min lesson. Anyway...will have to wait till the lockdown is over.
You probably know this, but just in case you don't: there are a lot of really great teachers, including some who post regularly on this forum, who do online lessons that are pretty reasonable in terms of costs. I think it would be wise, if it's at all affordable, to do at least 1-2 lessons in the very beginning to get you started in the right direction and avoid some of the common pitfalls that can lead to bad habits.

If for some reason that's not a good option for you, be sure to check out the instructional videos on Youtube. There are lots of free lessons posted there, and many are nicely done. Obviously, the best and quickest way to learn is via private lessons, but a guy could get pretty far these days just watching videos and working through Rubank with a metronome.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lucky you! I paid on the 12th Feb, found out last night they're out of stock! Got a refund which shows on my PayPal activity, but not the balance, and it's not in my bank account either! So I can't even order a different sax! GGGRRRR!!!
So frustrating!
Your sax looks great, and I'm glad you didn't have any problems! As already said, there are some great tutorials on YouTube, but it's not quite as straightforward as that. Some are just scattered free lessons, some are part lessons. Most are designed to make you want to pay to get more information or more in-depth information. If you check the channel itself and look at their play lists, you should get an idea of who to follow, there are some free beginners courses out there that should last you a while.
Enjoy torturing that Goose!!! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts