Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was listening to John Scarpulla's webpage and love his picketlike title track. If you listen to his short cut Spagetti legs he sounds to me incredible and I have no idea what scale he's using. If you don't want to public post then just PM me. I know that in addition to quite a few good players here there are some pros who rarely post. Thanks alot, I'd like to put that sound in my ear and yes to the first set of advice I will transcribe it!! THanks K

·
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think on the second half he uses a whole tone scale, but I'm not sure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
Keith my man

I don't think he's using any scale out of the ordinary. Its what the rhythm section are doing that makes it sound unusual probably. I haven't really studied it but it sounded like a minor scale , probably based on dorian. Sounds like it then goes up a semitone, as with 'so what' before the head at the end. Nice sound though!

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,799 Posts
It sounds to me like an altered scale or a pentatonic variation based off it.
C#DEFGABC#.
This reminds me of a cool thing I discovered awhile ago. If I'm playing on a minor groove like D minor you can play the D Minor pentaonic DFGACD. Use the same pentaonic but drop the root a half step so now it's C#FGACC#. I use this alot to take solos out a bit. It sounds pretty cool.:)

·
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope I didn't offend any of the great players here on the forum. I just thought I'd get an idea of whats going on and then try to copy it. Alot of it is his tone. Thanks K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts