Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there.

Hey, what do they call that wingwang that holds the music for marching bands and stuff, and where can I get one?

I'm thinking about putting one of those little electric tuners on it to display my intonation. Yes I need help with my intonation, thank you.

The horn in question is a midSixties Conn tenor, if it makes a difference...

Thanks

PB

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
Music Lyres are still available at most music stores or online. I do like the term "wingwang" however.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
Depends on where the original poster is from. If you go into a music store down under, they're called willydings. The Brits call them diddlers, and in France you need to ask for "le petit danglere."

Mark

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Up here they're "whats-a-doodles" ;) . Seriously though, it is a Music Lyre for Marching you're looking for.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Are you talking about the doohickey that's connected to the body of the horn, or the thingamabob that you put into it? If I were you, I would just get one of those whatchamacallits, instead.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Snark-SN1-SN-1-Tuner/dp/B003VWJ2K8

You can clip it on a music stand and use the mic function or clip it on the bell if you have the urge to "wander" while you tune. Make sure you get the red one (chromatic) as the blue one is really just for stringed instruments. Inexpensive and accurate. Gotta like that! However, ya gotta train your ear to play the sax in tune. Listen to the scale and feel the distance between the pitches. The tuner is only a reference to work toward. It's all about hearing the pitch in your head and then making the subtle adjustments needed to make it work ( or, at least that's my theory...). When in doubt, aim a little sharp as flat seems way worse...

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,026 Posts
Hey, yeah wingwang is a very cool term for just about any sort of doohickey!

But speaking of tuners, I don't really think it's all that good an idea to clip a tuner to your horn. Far better to use your ears to stay in tune! A tuner is fine in the practice room to do an occasional check, but really you have to tune with your ears to the rest of the band. Try matching tones with a piano, and/or get the Tuning CD and work with that for a while.

http://www.wix.com/raschwartz/the-tuning-cd

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm definitely on board with "wingwang"!

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
"Wingwang" is good. It says so much, without really saying anything at all. It has moxie, but it also has a certain je ne sais quoi. If everyone here agrees to start using it, it may catch on everywhere. And who knows? One day, "wingwang" might replace the ubiquitous "widget" in business schools all around the world! In the dictionary, under "origin," it will say, "Sax on the Web, circa 2011." And then we'll be famous! Thank you, Permanent Beginner!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts