Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Write a 100 licks on this progression and you could sell a ton of books to the New Orleans public school system.

IV, bVdim, I, VI7, II7, V7, I,V7

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Write a 100 licks on this progression and you could sell a ton of books to the New Orleans public school system.

It would be #IV dim, not bVdim.

I know the notes would be the same, but voice leading is everything...

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,680 Posts
That's a great, and common, progression. But I think it's too long to fit any specific lick to it. Better to work with smaller increments when using licks. Then string 'em together or look to longer phrases. It's not really desirable to get too formulaic with a longer progression like that, imho. I could be totally wrong, though.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
That's a great, and common, progression. But I think it's too long to fit any specific lick to it. Better to work with smaller increments when using licks. Then string 'em together or look to longer phrases. It's not really desirable to get too formulaic with a longer progression like that, imho. I could be totally wrong, though.
But you're totally right.

·
Registered
881 Posts
And you can even use your 2-5-1 in there as well... :)

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,175 Posts
I agree. You could write a book of melodic ideas to play through those changes with examples but it would be more for ideas than note for note licks you would memorize.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I usually do write #IVdim. That does make more sense. Also, I know I can PM you Neff, but I get more feedback (and so do you) if I put it on the list. Sometimes I just want to see what everybody has to say. I do think you could make money with that. There are, of course, a lot of variations on those changes.

IV, IVm, I, VI7, IIm, V7, I, V7 is another that occurs a lot.

In Cabaret they hide it this way: IV, #IVdim, IIIm7,VI7, IIm7, V7, I, V7

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts

Why do you think there would be a demand for that in the NO public school system? Just curious.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,175 Posts
I usually do write #IVdim. That does make more sense. Also, I know I can PM you Neff, but I get more feedback (and so do you) if I put it on the list. Sometimes I just want to see what everybody has to say. I do think you could make money with that. There are, of course, a lot of variations on those changes.

IV, IVm, I, VI7, IIm, V7, I, V7 is another that occurs a lot.

In Cabaret they hide it this way: IV, #IVdim, IIIm7,VI7, IIm7, V7, I, V7
No problem. It just seemed like you were talking more to me than starting a thread of discussion. Are you in the New Orleans area?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why do you think there would be a demand for that in the NO public school system? Just curious.
If I'm not mistaken, many of the band programs in New Orleans include Trad jazz instruction, and nothing says trad jazz like Bill's last eight (last eight bars of Bill Bailey). I've often wondered if this exact progression has ever turned up in classical music. It must have. The first tune I know of that used it was "Original Dixieland One-Step" which was stolen from an earlier ragtime piano piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,189 Posts
That progression is in a lot of New Orleans r&b tunes, as well as blues tunes and soul ballads. Ray Charles' "Hard Times" is another variation on it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,355 Posts
I played the progression on the piano. I could almost hear Dr. John starting to sing to it...maybe he would throw in a #5 on the last chord.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That progression is in a lot of New Orleans r&b tunes, as well as blues tunes and soul ballads. Ray Charles' "Hard Times" is another variation on it.
The chord progression to Bill Bailey is the New Orleans blues. I know a guy who has found more then 50 tunes that use the entire 32 bars of the Bill Bailey changes. If you want to write a tune that everyone (the musical morons) will like, just use those 32 bars. I even thought (but not seriously) of creating a band that does nothing but tunes with that progression. I'll bet people wouldn't notice and probably love it. BTW, try playing the Bill Bailey changes to Stars and Stripes Forever.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,189 Posts
The progression for Little Willie John's tune, Need Your Love So Bad, is another variation on the same idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts