Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I totally support Legere..a great company..Your reeds are the best Synth I found, OK fine. I am a fan....

BUT they are virtually impossible to adjust (backstage, bad lighting)..the reed is clear..it disappears visually against my black silver or gold Mpc tip....

So I ask Mr Bean Counter, please put some "FREAKIN" color (how 'bout reed) in it ..Thanks from the Sax world.

:(:(:(:(:(

PS: also btw thanks for getting rid of the stickers.:whistle:

disclaimer: I hope I'm not being too fussy, but honestly mostly no matter what the light, I have to adjust like Roland Kirk. Somewhere between finger braille and tongue tip guessing..sometimes for practice at home I still play tan Fibracells, again it is a joy, as I can see the reed against the mpc tip for a perfect visual adjustment,:bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,876 Posts
I still ( even after 2 years) suppose you could try to dye the reed in food coloring (this is a way to dye , for example, fishing line

https://www.wikihow.com/Dye-Nylon

You wrote (almost exactly) the same thing in 2017 in another thread https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?267994-Legere-Please-Color-your-Reeds that got 4 pages of responses.

Who would make a transparent reed, fer god's sake..I can't see to make perfect tip adjustment..sure sucks when you depend on a quick adjust or reed change. How bout a nice reedy color??:Rant:

hey otherwise your Signature model feels pretty good:mrgreen:
Pete Thomas, is an endorser and passed on the comment

I am an endorser and will pass the comments on. As I mentioned I like the reeds (obviously) and I have no problem with the colour or transparency as I generally set the reed position by feeling after roughly sexting it visually.

As for recycled plastic, I can't see that working as they already have a winning formula, different plastic would be different. Much as I like recycling and to help with pollution and climate change. It may be that they can recycle their own reeds, that would be worth asking them.
I suppose that if in 2 years nothing happened, there must be a reason. Most probably that this is not felt as being a problem by the majority of the users.

Try dying an old reed you will probably discover that is not difficult and that it will address your problem.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey there!

There is a reason behind the colour/transparency of the reed, and it has to do with the material. With our current technology, we cannot add anything to the material of the reed without changing the specific density of the material. The density of the material is such that it replicates the density and stiffness of ready-to-play cane reeds. To add anything, even a dye, would change those key features that give the reed it's sonic and playing characteristics.

As a result of this, we have to keep the reed material in its current colour/transparency to ensure the reed plays and sounds the way people have come to expect and depend on.

Hope this helps, if you have further questions you can write to us at http://www.legere.com/contact-us/

Thanks!

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,493 Posts
I agree in low lighting jobs its difficult to get the reed on correctly. May I suggest that you prepare your reed and mouthpiece prior to the gig in daylight and then cap it.

Boom no problem!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
I just colour the back of the tip of the reed with a permanent sharpie marker, then you can make out where the edge is easier. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

I definitely would avoid any method that uses heat to fix a dye, thats quite likely to bugger up the mechanical properties of the polymer blend.

·
38,876 Posts
the permanent marker is non toxic if you put by accident some on your skin, but putting it on a reed and inevitably ingesting some (even though it may be little) it is most certainly not prudent.

OP's previous thread on the same subject got more or less the same suggestions. This is what OP himself wrote then (so he thought about it).

I did think about taking a black Sharpie to it...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
the permanent marker is non toxic if you put by accident some on your skin, but putting it on a reed and inevitably ingesting some (even though it may be little) it is most certainly not prudent.

OP's previous thread on the same subject got more or less the same suggestions. This is what OP himself wrote then (so he thought about it).
What can I say, I like to live dangerously. Every day I share the road with South Carolina drivers:yikes!:

The sharpie is non toxic, its on the back of the reed, and while many people who have heard me will confirm that I suck, I dont actually physically suck in much from the mouthpeice, so Im hopeful that despite my attempts to poison myself that I will live long enough to die instead in a horrible car wreck caused by some local who wont get off their damned phone:)

·
38,876 Posts
indeed

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,021 Posts
Hey Cash, when I played Legeres for a short time (I've gone back to my fav cane reeds--Rigotti), what I found worked best for adjusting the reed was to look at it from the side. Put the reed on the mpc more of less where you think it goes, then hold the mpc/reed side on and look through the gap between them. That way you can see both the tip of the reed and the tip of the mpc and you should be able to line them up pretty well. You have to kind of back light it to see it well; hold it up toward a light or a light background and it should work ok.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I got to see George Coleman a couple years ago in NY. I didn't realize until after the set, when I took my Seven Steps to Heaven LP up to ask for his autograph, that he is going blind. It then dawned on me why he needed help walking into the club and on to the stand (Joe Farnsworth), why Harold Mabern brought his axe out and put it in the sax stand (Backward! I jumped up and ran over to show him.. before the horn fell over...), why he hardly looked at the audience or the band... he was just calling tunes. I also understood why, when putting the reed on, he was really concentrating, using his fingers... his fingers... He sounded fantastic (of course). One of my fondest memories in life, those sets were.
My eyes (close/small work) are getting bad and I've always been a stickler for aligning the reed well. I was using a magnifier device for a while. Now I am learning to use... my fingers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,947 Posts
I agree in low lighting jobs its difficult to get the reed on correctly. May I suggest that you prepare your reed and mouthpiece prior to the gig in daylight and then cap it.

Boom no problem!
+1 after all it is plastic.

·
Registered
718 Posts
How about making a little alignment jig out of sugru to place securely on the end of the mouthpiece that has a cradle for the tip of the reed in the correct position?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Actually, a small LED light attached to a headband allow both hand to be free, and they are pretty cheap.
I have held the penlight in the mouth plenty of times, when my headlight was not nearby.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Legere for a timely response.

Well a natural wooden hue would be nice, but I understand what you say. I suppose I'll use the sharpie method, I have tried black sharpie before, not great against a Black Widow..

...or maybe try a dip in food coloring ???

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
Suggestion: If a black sharpie doesn't work, try a silver one. Or a gold one.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Great to see direct customer reply from Legere here!
Given your explanation, please don't change a thing. Your reeds are great!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts