Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking forward to this for a long time! We filmed this concert in early October, and at long last, I'll be on the longstanding musical PBS mainstay "Austin City Limits" this weekend. I arranged the winds and strings for this lovely concert of Adrian Quesada's "Boleros Psicodelicos," featuring vocalists and musicians from all over Latin America and the United States. It'll be airing this weekend whenever your local PBS affiliate broadcasts the show, but it'll also be available for posterity here afterward:

I thoroughly enjoyed both arranging for and performing with this special group. Adrian put together quite an ambitious and awesome thing, here, and I hope you enjoy seeing and hearing it! (I'm playing tenor and flute in the corner.)

· Registered
353 Posts
Congratulations!
This show consistently features a cross section of exceptionally talented musicians and groups. I’m looking forward to watching it. (Being in Alaska, it will air on 1/28, so I may watch online.) Did you arrange the horn parts?

· Registered
353 Posts
Yep! Did the wind and string arrangements for it, largely based on what we'd done on the record... some of my ideas, lots of Adrian's as well.
I just watched the preview. There‘s a lot of great rhythms to work with from what little I heard. Can’t wait to hear your work!

Reactions: HeavyWeather77

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
28,947 Posts
I arranged the winds and strings for this lovely concert of Adrian Quesada's "Boleros Psicodelicos," featuring vocalists and musicians from all over Latin America and the United States.
I taped it the other night and got to watch it the next day. I really enjoyed that set. In particular, a tune about a third of the way in when you were on flute and the other horn player on trombone. Perhaps that's a common pairing in Latin music, but it seemed new and different to me and was incredibly well done. I did want to see you get a chance to cut loose, but I suppose when the group is led by an electric guitarist, he's gonna eat all the solos.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hah, thanks, Grumps! I appreciate it very much. Yep, no horn features in this one, we were all support here... but since I got to do all the arrangements (my favorite part anyway...) I didn't mind. :) Paul and I have done quite a bit of shredding together over the years, but honestly I was really pleased to just get to hear all these wonderful vocalists shine.

Adrian has a pretty special gift for making genuinely good music accessible to a very wide variety of ears. I'm looking forward to his next schemes.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
Watching it now. Arrangements are killing and the band sounds great.
Some of the singers are sketchy which doesn’t take anything away from the band. The ones that are good make the the whole sound really alive.
Congrats on a job done, especially that the material is so varied.
That's you on sax/flute?
Nice playing.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
28,947 Posts
Some of the singers are sketchy...
The tune I mentioned above, with the flute/trombone combination, featured a young lady that seemed to be just a bit shaky up top on that one. But then on her second tune, she hit a note that was out of this world. Show-stopping. And she knew it. A good recovery, in my view.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts