Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be possible for someone to explain breifly what these are and what their benefit is. I have seen them mentioned here recently and am curious.
Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hexatonics are six note scales. They are commonly made by combining two triads, such as C major with D major triads. This scale works over many different chords like C major, C lydian, D7, A- and so forth. Hexatonic scales can be made by combining any two triads of any harmonic quality (major, minor, augmented, diminished). They have a very unique sound to them.

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
Perhaps even more accessible (and fundamental) examples would be the whole tone scale and the blues scale. Both contain six tones, as suggested by the prefix "hexa-", which means six, and the root "tonic", which reduces to "tone" and the suffix "-ic", which creates the adjective form. Just a brief study in etymology.

·
Registered
358 Posts
LANDRUSAX said:
Hexatonics are six note scales. They are commonly made by combining two triads, such as C major with D major triads. This scale works over many different chords like C major, C lydian, D7, A- and so forth. Hexatonic scales can be made by combining any two triads of any harmonic quality (major, minor, augmented, diminished). They have a very unique sound to them.

Uhm, I don't really get it: a triad, is that like C-E-G and D-F#-A? If so, the hexatonic scale is these both just put together? I thought hexatonic scales also could be a whole-tone scale like: C-D-E-F#-G#-Bb...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,308 Posts
Hammertime said:
Uhm, I don't really get it: a triad, is that like C-E-G and D-F#-A? If so, the hexatonic scale is these both just put together? I thought hexatonic scales also could be a whole-tone scale like: C-D-E-F#-G#-Bb...
C E G + D F# A = C D E F# G A

C E G# = D F# A# = C whole-tone scale (based on Augmented triads)

...and my favorite
C maj + F# maj = C C# E F# G A#

·
Registered
711 Posts
Is there a good book for this stuff?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Walt Weiskopf (sp?) has a good book on triad pairs. I think its called Intervallic Improvisations. One of the Bergonzi books deals with this too I think.

Another book is called something like: Extentions for Jazz. Its by one of the guys who wrote paterns for jazz. Sorry I can't be more specific.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,308 Posts
Bergonzi's latest is on Hexatonics but it's difficult to find. Walt Weiskopf's book "intervallic improvisation" (I think thats the name) and gary Campbell's "Triad Pairs" are the leading books.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I picked this one from an Alan Holdsworth book. C D# E G G# B C. He also sometimes uses a version of it that adds more passing tones to create a really interesting symmetrical scale. C D D# E F# G G# A# B C.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Combination of A, C# and F major triads give you FG#ACC#EF, works good on a Dmi chord...

(it's also on Blues and the Abstract Truth, Oliver Nelson)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'm also a big fan of playing whatever the diatonic scale for a given chord is and omitting the root(ie. A-B-C-D-E-F over G7 or E-F-G-A-B-C over Dm7) I used to have a problem with playing too many roots on strong beats on solos, which can take the life out of an otherwise good solo.

A hexatonic scale is a term that applies to any 6 note scale, not just ones based on a combination of two triads. D-D#-E-F-F#-G is also a hexatonic scale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts