Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help guys,
I have an alto and a tenor. Both are Aristocrat serie one. I'm actually more a soprano player so I just can't realize how good they are, or if they are so so. Of course you won't be able to tell me without testing them ...
Here is my problem. I really want to buy an other soprano sax (maybe I'll sell my Couesnon if the new is really good) something that I really enjoy in every ways: soound, intonation, ergonomic. And for this purchasing, I need money, that's why I have to sell one or two of this Buescher.
Do you think it's really worth keeping this Buescher and find a financial solution to buy the new soprano?
:dog:

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
silvin said:
Help guys,
I have an alto and a tenor. Both are Aristocrat serie one. I'm actually more a soprano player so I just can't realize how good they are, or if they are so so. Of course you won't be able to tell me without testing them ...
Here is my problem. I really want to buy an other soprano sax (maybe I'll sell my Couesnon if the new is really good) something that I really enjoy in every ways: soound, intonation, ergonomic. And for this purchasing, I need money, that's why I have to sell one or two of this Buescher.
Do you think it's really worth keeping this Buescher and find a financial solution to buy the new soprano?
:dog:
Hi. :) In a word: Yes. I must admit i've never played a Couesnon saxophone, but they'd have absolutely astonishing to be worth a pair of early Aristocrats in anywhere near decent condition. And i don't need to look up the "rarity value" of the Couesnon to feel sure on this one.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rooty!
But The value of the Buescher is not compared to my Couesnon soprano but to an eventual really good soprano like a curved yana or so ...
For you, no hesitation? I must keep my Buescher and find some money otherwise for purchasing this sop? :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
To me a Buescher is made to keep till you die. And even then, I hope ol' Gus is there to hand you a new goldplated Big B when you walk through the pearly gates.

Seriously, I'd keep the Bueschers and save up for the soprano. It seems to be so hard to find a good soprano and one that you yourself like, you may go through several before you are happy.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'm not certain but I think I once heard a sample of your tenor playing on SOTW - you were playing the Series One and sounded excellent - stay with it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the replies ! I guess I should keep them, in particular the tenor which is in really good shape, and work more with it and try many mouthpieces and reeds ...
Maybe selling the alto, I have the impression it's easier to find a nice alto that works good (?)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave dix said:
Keep the bueschers and look for a buescher sop
Dave
:D I think about it, have seen a very nice 23' Buescher curved sop, but very expensiiiiiiiiiive :(

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, this one is keyed to F and is Bb low pitch ...

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
silvin said:
Thanks Rooty!
But The value of the Buescher is not compared to my Couesnon soprano but to an eventual really good soprano like a curved yana or so ...
For you, no hesitation? I must keep my Buescher and find some money otherwise for purchasing this sop? :)
Ok, sorry, I misunderstood. Keep the 2 bueschers unless you hardly ever play alto and tenor, I'd say. You can't buy that quality now for half the money you payed for them. The money you'd get for them doesn't make it worthwhile to sell. The market will probably go up at some point and if it doesn't, so what? You've still got 2 brilliant horns. I'm not much of a hand with sopranos but I would have thought that there are some very good bargains floating about in terms of older model yanagiyamahawhatsits. That might be a way forward that won't involve a second mortgage.:) The element i'm leaving out, of course, is the Couesnon. What's wrong with that?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like my Couesnon despite the fact high notes are thin and difficult. Its general intonation is good, but there is some strange stuff in it though ...It has a very nice sound.
And I do fantasm on a curved sop,especially Buescher but hard to find one, or yanagisawa. I want a sop with the sound and (very) good intonation!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts