Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on SOTW bought a sax from Hersch yet? He is dominating the Marketplace but I haven't caught any testimonials about how the transaction went (i.e. was the sax as described? packed well? etc.) Seems like a good guy, but I was just wondering (as a potential buyer.)

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
A Google search shows a person that probably wouldn't want to tarnish his reputation as a jazz musician by cheating anyone with a horn purchase. I've drooled several times seeing the "stuff" he's selling from his personal collection.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Caveat Emptor

I gotta chime in here. I obtained a horn in a trade with Herschel about a month ago. He's polite and pretty easy to get along with, but unfortunately the experince has left a bad taste in my mouth.

-I posted a Mk VII Tenor for sale cheap. It needed a complete overhaul and I didn't have the time or resources to do it myself.

-At the same time he offerred a YTS 61 in playing condition for a bit less. I contacted him and offerred a trade. We agreed to trade his horn and a vintage Link for my Selmer. Both horns arrived at the same time. He sent an email telling me that yhe Selmer needed a bunch of work. I in turn asked if I has in any way misrepresented it, and he said that I did not. A couple of days later he mailed me and told me it was a very good horn (I know).

-That should have been it. However, my new horn is a YTS-61 with nickel plated keys. If you have ever seen one, or heard mention of another one, please let me know! He never informed me of this. Overall the axe plays GREAT. However how would I ever honestly be able to sell a "Pro" tenor that looks just lie a YTS-21? That should have come up.

-In researching old Yamahas on this forum I came accross a thread from Herschel asking about 61 necks, 'cause he thought his might be pulled down! For the record, my 61 neck is original. One again, this was never mentioned.

-I never recieved any mouthpiece. He ignored me for awhile. Then told me it was shipped. Then ignored me some more. It has been just about a month of dealing with this. I posted a bit bout this in the 'Horns for Sale', and 'Mouthpiece for Sale' forums because I figured the only way to get his attention was by notifying other potential buyers/ suckers. This did get his attention, and a lot of circular talk (he's a finance guy at a car dealership), but no mouthpiece.

-In conclusion, I got a great axe. I'm not out any money. FOor that I feel fortunate. Would I ever invest the money he's asking in a horn... with him? Are you kidding?

Just my 2 cents. PM me if you're stil not sure, or if you're curious how this is resolved. Thanks, Mike

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I feel better knowing at least half of the whole story.

Regarding the nickel-plated keys: Those of us that know the models will not be put off by the plating. Many pro horns - including those of French manufacture - have offered "two-tone" horns among their top-of-the-line options.

I hope you are equally eloquent in sharing the story when your mouthpiece arrives.

G'luck in your endeavors.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hopefully I can be equally eloquent. I had serious reservations about airing this, even though I stand behind every bit of it. Ironically, I sent this email, walked out the door to tend to some business (I'm leaving tomorrow), and bumped into the mailman! The mouthpiece has finally arrived. It is in excellent shape, as was the horn when I recieved it.
The quandary is that now that I have my piece (after 1 month), I don't have the same emotional resentment that I did some 30 minutes ago. For instance, I more likely than not would not have posted to this particular thread; certainly not about a horn that, as I mentioned, I am personally satisfied. That said, I will thank Herschel for the piece. As I mentioned in my prior posting, he is very friendly and nice to deal with... 'when I had his attention. IMHO, there's no way in hell that a dealer of the caliber of material that he trades in should let a customer fret for a month about piece that was only shipped from Kansas to California.
So the resolution happened a lot quicker that I expected. Feel free to weigh my agressive post versus my somewht sheepish one. Hey, I just want a good setup. PM me with any questions-

Oh yeah- I don't have a problem with the keys. I actually like the look of it. But I believe that one should be forthcoming about these things... I could've been a dealer, too! You try selling a 61 that looks like a 21 to a college kid!

·
32,949 Posts
Next time spring for USPS Priority mail... ;)

"Forthcoming" - maybe you should ask for pictures if looks are important.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
This is what I've been talking about on some other threads. People are suspicious (and rightly so) when people come on SOTW and try to do a hard sell. When someone has a question, however innocent, go 'you're messing up my sale--go away'. I'm also suspicious of some people that Only use this forum to trade and sell mouthpieces and horns. Must be nice to have a side business that has no advertising costs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Agreed.

And with regards to the look... I like it! In fact, today I took delivery of a "matching":D YAS-21 that I ordered from ebay. Imagine spending $6000 on a MK-6 and getting one that looks like a Bundy II. I personally don't care, but the guy that started this thread might.

·
32,949 Posts
If you're spending $6k and don't ask for pictures or a trial/approval period, you deserve whatever you get.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Rebuttal:

Now that my poor shipping methods for mouthpieces have been exposed (when the mouthpiece was originally sent, I had sold another item to someone else in CA, and somehow transposed address to undeliverable ones, ie.. I put address A with B's city and zip, and B with A's info, both packages were sent back to me about 10 days later.. But I delivered both items in a somewhat untimely fashion..)

ALSO, I did not misrepresent the horn I sold, and as far as the NECK, I was only asking about replacements when I was thinking of keeping it. Everyone wants to tinker with something.. The horn was pack MARVELOUSLY, WITH KEY CLAMPS I THREW IN.. I have since sold a few other horns, mouthpieces, ligatures, etc... and have had ZERO COMPLAINTS.. I feel like I have been unfairly characterized by the comments made here, and certainly wouldn't want this to take away from my credibility.. I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING!!
The horn I received in return for the Yamaha, while not mis-represented, I would say bordered on a understating the poor condition..

HAKUkANI - I participate in much more then just selling things.. I have posted in MANY threads regarding MANY topics..

The fact is I do have horns and mouthpieces to sell from time to time.. and would like to continue to do so.. I generally always have very nice pictures, as well as pertinent & educated information.. THANK YOU.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Hersch17 said:
HAKUkANI - I participate in much more then just selling things.. I have posted in MANY threads regarding MANY topics..
edit: Apology that was in this place has been withdrawn. If the shoe fits...

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Busted! Sorry Saxmaglen, it doesn't sound like those saxes were from his collection and I say Hersh's reputation is rather tarnished. I doubt we'll ever see him again.

·
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Wow, all this hoopla over Hersh on the other thread makes me wonder if he ever even had the Selmer Super Balanced Action Tenor that he was offering for $3500. And I'd love to know which SOTW'er deposited the money in his paypal account (if that story was true.)

·
6,395 Posts
Art_Salt said:
Busted! Sorry Saxmaglen, it doesn't sound like those saxes were from his collection and I say Hersh's reputation is rather tarnished. I doubt we'll ever see him again.
Looks like I stand severely corrected.....:shock:

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
hakukani said:
edit: Apology that was in this place has been withdrawn. If the shoe fits...
Hey Hakukani, nice to see a avatar everyone can understand.

Hey saxmanglen, are you bragging about where you are with that avatar. You know Jimmy Hoffa is buried under that stadium :shock:

·
6,395 Posts
spartacus said:
Hey saxmanglen, are you bragging about where you are with that avatar. You know Jimmy Hoffa is buried under that stadium :shock:
Yeah, I guess I am..........I'm home now but what a fabulous trip. Next month it's Floridia in June. My, my, my...........could be a bit hot!

·
Registered
46 Posts
UPDATE: I'll add more to this soon. The "pulled-down" neck on this horn BROKE IN HALF in the middle of a show 3 nights ago. As I work on a cruise ship, I'm pretty screwed. I used pliers to get the shank out of the body and have been using some creative embouchure techniques to finish out this 8-day cruise. As I've got about an hour of free time in the US every 8 days, and about 30 sets per cruise (!) I'm enlisting the aid of a very good SOTW'er, Pastor Bob to find me an axe to buy when I hit the States in 4 days. I've noticed that there has been almost no activity here from Hersch17 in months, but I wanted to let y'all know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts