Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thought about that often when I practicing in the car, but held right, a hand works as a muffler. Good idea, though I wouldn't pay $69.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Pgraves said:
...but held right, a hand works as a muffler.
Yeah, but your hand doesn't come with an instruction manual or DVD. Or did it??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Yeah, playing on the mouthpiece alone is quite annoying, but I'm not not going to spend $70 on a mute for my freakin' mouthpiece.

And the thing looks like the bar you hang your toilet paper on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
The DVD must be for the correct fingering involved in holding it, and tips on choosing shades that make you look a complete knob.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm intrigued by that bit at the end that looks like either a dial or a bit that unscrews. Is it for changing the filter after it gets full of noise or is it to change the tone? Over to you Mike the Fish.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I DO the mouthpiece exercises regulary and everybody ever did them know, they are VERY LOUD and piercing. So I bought this "toilet paper bar" muffler and I use it since few weeks. Amazing thing. I can sit in my car and play my scales. In the evening, nobody is diturbed, when exercising with Silencer at home. The sound is realy quiet, even when playing fortissimo. Included DVD video opened my eyes: It goes even more in mouthpiece exercises details than David Liebman video. Handbook has a lot of tipps on how to improve the sound and intonation. So, in my opinion $60 for the Silencer mute is one of the best investments I ever made. By the way: there is no filter, no Alladin and no Jinny inside of Silencer. Harry Potter would say: it is brilliant. Any questions?

·
5,092 Posts
Hey, solfinger, if I buy two silencers, will you throw in the shades? HAHAHAHA

Actually, to be honest, I've thought about this kind of thing before... with roommates or in a hotel, I would have killed for something like that. I could make a 40 minute DVD on mouthpiece exercises, piano/mouthpiece/pre-hearing drills pretty easily, I think. Problem with this product is, anyone who knows enough to be working just on the mouthpiece probably knows enough not to need the DVD, and while the DVD is probably what the manufacturer made to justify his selling price, it's probably useless to most customers. This is a big problem if there's a lot of overhead or if it just costs a lot to make those thingies...

·
961 Posts
I know a gal who can play "Stars and Stripes Forever" on the mpc alone........ talk about talent!!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
jimmehMarkVI said:
haha look at "all posts" by mike the fish

now THATS impartial!
Boy. I wonder if "Mike" is the manufacturer of this item?

·
Registered
11 Posts
littlemanbighorn said:
Boy. I wonder if "Mike" is the manufacturer of this item?
Hi Mike, are you the manufactuer of the Silencer? If so: good idea, you made a good job. But I have a question: can you change the color of "this item"? It really looks like a garden hose nozzle.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
alsdiego said:
I know a gal who can play "Stars and Stripes Forever" on the mpc alone........ talk about talent!!
That's a long time to play Stars and Stripes!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts