Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of this guy? I've heard him live a couple of times. He does it all. One good criticism I heard of him was that he's a Cannonball Adderly clone. But of course Cannonball was an alto guy. What kind of mouthpiece is he playing? His lig looks like a link but I'm not sure since there's so much out there today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp0TIhymyhA&mode=related&search=

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
This is seriously cheesy! I dont hear anything remotely 'cannonball' in his playing... its just cheesy pop sax! couldnt listen to it for more than 2 mins, belongs in a elavator!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Some years back, somebody played me a live CD where he played all straight ahead jazz and it was really good. It's been a while since I heard it, but there definitely could have been some Cannonball influence in there. This on the other hand is what he's know for and has little to do with any Adderley influence except that it may have a vague connection to the soul/funk-jazz that Cannon was doing later in his career. But even then, it doesn't sound like what Cannon was doing at that time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
Why don't you guys put a name in there.

It is Gerald Albright.

Listen to 'Live at Birdland'. With Kirk Whalum.
This guy can play straight ahead for sure.
If you listen to his version of 'Georgia', which I consider
to be one of the best ever, the I say he is a master,
especially of that blues style he uses there.

Absolutely influenced by Cannonball.
He plays some of his licks. Pays tribute to him on his CD's.

Him and Kirk did a remake of the classic Coltrane and Cannonball
recording of Limehouse Blues.

Like a lot of people, this guy has to make a living so he plays
smooth jazz, and yes, I have heard some that is very cheesy.

But at least he earns a good living playing sax, which is more than I can
say for many here.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LiAm84 said:
This is seriously cheesy! I dont hear anything remotely 'cannonball' in his playing... its just cheesy pop sax! couldnt listen to it for more than 2 mins, belongs in a elavator!
The reference to Cannonball is not heard in this particular performance. Gerald is mainly an alto sax player.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whaler said:
I think its funny that the the guitar player needs a chart for a silly little tune like that.

He's probably improvising from changes on the chord chart. Maybe it's his first time playing the tune.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gerald Albright is the man. I think he's playing a Sugal piece on tenor. He's not mainly an alto player. I would say he's a doubler. He also plays flute and bari on his records. I've also heard him on soprano. He has a great sound on alto and tenor in my opinion. His alto sound is similar to Cannonball Adderly. He plays in that bluesy-bebop vain very well. His "smooth" stuff is really more funky, r&b, real soulful stuff. I wouldn't consider anything he's ever done to be cheezy. I got a great track of him on tenor in my Windows library. It's off the Bermuda Nights album, and the track is Feeling Inside. If someone could tell me how to post it I will. He's got great tone and feel, and a real control of the full range of the saxophone on both alto and tenor. Really impressive stuff in my opinion.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I don't believe going from tenor to alto to bari is a 'double'.

Kirk Whalum can play. I'd rather hear Peanut, though.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Liam84, you should have given it a few more minutes, it gets pretty smokey towards the end.I've got to admit his performances do tend to range from strictly ambient to really gut wrenching blues wailing. I'll tolerate the former for the latter. I second that tune from 'Bermuda Nights', starts slow and easy, then builds to a glorious churchy crescendo.Love it.The horn he's playing is a Cannonball, probably his own signature horn.I tried to watch the other YOUtube video of him doing 'Georgia on my Mind' but the picture is so wildly out of sync that he pulls the horn away from his mouth and a flurry of notes are still going.Too distracting.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I have a friend that plays large-mouthed bass. Mostly scales. He learned it at a school.;)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
edhara said:
Sounds fishy to me.
You pitchin' or flippin'?

(See bass fishing if your confused by this.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I almost forgot. Yes, Gerald is also a fantastic electric bass player. He plays the bass on some of the songs on his albums, and used to gig professionally as a bass player.

To Off-kilter: He now plays the Cannonball horns, but back in the Bermuda Nights days it was probably Selmers.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Okay, okay--Albright is a great player! He has to make a living playing sax, so does pop stuff. That's great!

I gave up the idea of playing sax for a living several years ago--Not necessarily because of skill. Music is a business. I hate business.

If a public school teacher dilutes his curriculum just to reach the lowest common denominator student, he would be ridden out of town on a rail. Why is this different?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
cjk_712 said:
Sounds like you want to start a new thread, hakukani.
Nope.
This is the second thread that called a sax player a 'master'. I think all these guys are great, but I reserve the term 'master' for others.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sounds lovely to me. If you are not inspired by that tune, give 'Georgia' a try...wow!

Is he playing a Cannonball?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts