Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guitarist friend of mine wanted me to lay down a sax line (or two?) on this track that he made up. It's harmonically and rhythmically strange to say the least. Thought some of you might like to take a crack at it. If he likes one of your tracks more than mine (which I haven't done yet), then I can put you in touch with him.

Please respect that this download is provided on the condition that you cannot claim copyright without contacting my friend and making arrangements.

http://soundcloud.com/whampton-court/01-lurkerfullmix

Looking forward to hearing some creative stuff come back.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Actually, I like it the way it is! I'm sure there's someone out there who could embellish it but why? This can easily stand on it's
own.....well, for my ears anyhoo.
Certainly I wouldn't want to myself because I would tarnish it. I wouldn't even try!
I happen to love this just as it is. Too bad the ending wasn't more clean and I know it wasn't artistically set up that way.
Yes, this is a saxophone forum but why does the sax have to be on everything? lol...

Tell your guitarist that I really dig his composition! Strange? Not at all! In what sense? It's just creative writing. Nothing strange about creative writing.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
While listening to the track, the only think that came to mind was
that I started to hear David Byrne's voice come in and start singing this (Making Flippy Floppy) over the track:
Nothing can come between us
Nothing gets you down
Nothing strikes your fancy
Nothing turns you on
You don't have to wait for more instructions
No one makes a monkey out of me............

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what you mean Mike. I've been sitting on this for a while but know that I've got to do something with it as my friend thinks it needs a lead line of some sort. I really like it the way it is as well. The reference to "strange" was certainly not aimed at you as not many have ears as wide open as yours. Many on this forum don't have your range of listening experience. Within that context it might seem strange to them (no set key, odd phrasing, etc.). Lacking those references can make fitting in a difficult ask. The tendency is likely to be to ignore or not try to remember what's in the track and just play one's own thing over it. This may or may not work depending on the match of feeling.

I like harmonizer's idea of words which fits with Mike's "why does it have to be sax" philosophy. No matter if the words are borrowed; if it fits let it happen. Capturing/augmenting the feeling or mood may be more important than trying to fit harmonically correct phrases when it's so open that it defies harmonic convention anyway.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i like it ,too. i could stand on it's own, but it could take a variety of instruments/voice in a variety of styles, and with a variety of effects. it piques my creative imagination and things i think of seem to immediately fit - even though they differ drastically. sweet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's like the Aphex Twin style of music. It's OK, but I have to be honest I would not be in any hurry to listen to it again! It lacks in some department. If you listen to a lot of that style of music - electronica - you will come across the sax a tad more than you might expect. Usually a short riff repeated and this tune could do with something like that.
If lacks a hook of some sort. It's a good foundation for a tune but not finished yet!
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It sort of reminds me of late Zappa; I enjoyed it a lot!

@Mike: In what way is it not strange? Strange doesn't necessarily mean completely inaccessible or unlistenable, it simply means unorthodox (which this certainly is). If your friend ever releases an album, or has, I would gladly listen to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts