Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
Before ordering a Hercules soprano sax stand,i would like to have feedback,or comments on those form people that owns and use them?
Thanks
My best regards
Saxobari

·
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sfax214

·
Registered
252 Posts
I use a standalone Hercules sop stand at home and a Herc combo 3 sax stand on gigs, solid as a rock, excellent build quality, and their drawstring stand bags make good tenor neck bags too!

·
861 Posts
The stand alone Herc doubles as a Floogle Horn Stand, at least the one I bought several years ago.

It works fine, steady and sturdy. I've taken the same peg and used it on the base of the Herc Alto / Tenor stand also and it works fine.

·
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good to me.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Mario
I use a standalone Hercules sop stand at home and a Herc combo 3 sax stand on gigs, solid as a rock, excellent build quality, and their drawstring stand bags make good tenor neck bags too!

·
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally bought one of those Hercules soprano stand.
Nice stand ,and very well built.
One thing that i have to say is the adjustment where the bell sits on does nt stay in place,it just slides down with the weight of the soprano,so i will have to add some tape on that post so it will stop from sliding down anymore.
Regards
Saxobari

·
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys,after a couple of months.
Hercules stand is nt bad,though like i mentioned before,ill need to put some electrical tape under that clip that hold the soprano to the desire height ,because the whole soprano just slide down on the tripod legs.There tightener does nt work on mind.Thumbs down for me on that soprano stand,i should not have to add tape on a brand new stand so that it does work properly!
Not impressed by Hercules soprano stand.
Regards
Saxobari

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My soprano peg holds the instrument well and does not slide. I used the triple sax + 2 pegs stand fairly often and always think what a sturdy, fast to fold up and safe piece of gear this is.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I'm a fan of the Hercules stands and have been using them over the past 5 years or so. I like the modularity being able to put the Sop peg on either an Alto/Tenor stand or a Bari stand. Same with the Bari stand being able to accommodate an Alto stand. So far no issues with any requiring workarounds for slipping or any other issues.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
I just use a soprano peg on any of my various saxophone stands. Bb soprano pegs aren't that hard to find; I had to make my own C soprano peg.

The thing I truly hate is that there are three common threads used on saxophone stands for pegs and NO ONE publishes what thread their stands or accessories use. So I've had to get out the taps and dies more than once. I STRONGLY recommend that you pick one and make sure that all your stands and pegs use the same thread. No fun getting to the gig and finding out the peg you packed doesn't fit the stand you packed.

For small straight instruments (flutes, sopranos, piccolo, clarinet - though I don't play clarinet) I usually use a stand I built 30+ years ago - two pieces of 1/4 x 1" steel crossed at right angles, held together with a bolt and wingnut in the center and drilled and tapped for several holes for pegs. Having it as a separate stand means: 1) I am not limited to the number of peg positions on a saxophone stand; and (2) I can put it somewhere different than the sax stand as bandstand layout may dictate. I can put it right there in front of the sax if that works on the particular setup, but I can put it somewhere else if needed.

Piccolo pegs are tricky because piccolo bores vary a lot. I ended up just making my own out of dowel and a big bolt cut off and glued into an axial hole in the dowel.

I always paint the tip of each peg white to help in being able to hit it with the instrument in low light conditions and a quick changeover.

·
1,599 Posts
I have a few of the soprano/flugel pegs and none have ever slipped on me. They also adjust well for a C soprano and sopranino.

·
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My soprano peg holds the instrument well and does not slide. I used the triple sax + 2 pegs stand fairly often and always think what a sturdy, fast to fold up and safe piece of gear this is.
Maybe i do have a defictive one.
Though it was hard finding one in my area!
So i don t want to send it back.
When that plastic clip is closed,i slide it up and dwon very easily with my hand without putting any pressure,so the horn when is sitting on it ,
the whole thing just slide down right to the lowest part of it,,,a bit annoying..

·
Registered
933 Posts
Maybe i do have a defictive one.
Though it was hard finding one in my area!
So i don t want to send it back.
When that plastic clip is closed,i slide it up and dwon very easily with my hand without putting any pressure,so the horn when is sitting on it ,
the whole thing just slide down right to the lowest part of it,,,a bit annoying..
Sounds defective for me.
I have used mine for sops and flugelhorns (same peg design for both) and no issues, and flugels are a lot heavier.

·
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds defective for me.
I have used mine for sops and flugelhorns (same peg design for both) and no issues, and flugels are a lot heavier.
Hi John
Well,definitely mind is not working right.
I will write to the store in Montreal,who sold it to me.
Thanks for the replies.
Saxobari

·
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The store is replacing my stand with a new one.
Will get it by mail ,probably by Friday.
Thanks everyone.
All the best
Saxobari

·
Registered
457 Posts
I bit late to the game here, but I use a Hercules sax stand with a trumpet peg for soprano, which doesn't move or slide.

BUT I hate the fact that there's so much front/back play in the main sax holder part. It's okay for alto, but my tenor keeps pitching forward (towards me if the stand is in front of me) which puts the mouthpiece/reed in a position more likely to get the reed damaged. Yes, mouthpiece cap, but when I'm switching horns playing with my band it isn't reasonable to fiddle with caps and I'm always afraid I'm going to bump the reed and damage it.

Do you guys stands have this much play in them? I have two, one I keep at home and one in our band's studio and they both do this...

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Yes, mine does the same thing. I like the way it folds up really tiny but I don't like the play. At one point I glued some material in the right spot to limit the travel, but I think that's since fallen off (I don't play a lot of tenor so I haven't really looked at the stand in a long time). A partial solution would be to close up the excess clearance between the bottom of the main stem and the plate; a complete solution would replace the crummy el cheapo shot pin with something of higher quality. At present those options are on my "to do when all the other work's done" list.

·
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for letting us know!
Hi Captain.
Well the store after all just replaced the defective clamp that keeps the soprano at the right height.
Seems to be working find now!
Thanks everyone.
Regards
Saxobari

1 - 20 of 20 Posts