Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We all have our favored reeds. For me, it's Hemke. After trying the likes of Vandoren, Alexander, etc, I tried Hemkes and was instantly amazed and hooked. I vowed to stay with Hemke until...

"they were all out of stock?!" I recently went to the local music store to get more Hemkes, but disappointingly found out that they were out of stock. I could always buy them online, however, I need the reeds much sooner. In addition, learning of possible alternatives could prove useful when most suppliers are out of stock.

Can anyone recommend reeds that have close characteristics to Hemkes? Any input/advice would be helpful!

P.S. As a little thank you to all responding, heres a 20% discount code for any item from my store: 2007jsesales

·
Registered
494 Posts
I think they're made by Ricos.. so try some Rico Royals maybe? Hope they are close!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NatureColor said:
I think they're made by Ricos.. so try some Rico Royals maybe? Hope they are close!
It does makes sense, since Rico produces Hemke reeds. Ive tried regular Rico reeds (orange box) and they sound ok. Do you have any experience with Hemkes and Rico Royals? Maybe rico royals may do the trick for me. However, do the Hemkes and Rico Royals have the same strength?

·
Registered
493 Posts
have you tried Australian vintage reeds i was too and still am a fan of hemke but these reeds are great and more mouthpiece friendly in my opion

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
i bought a box of australian vintage awhile back because I trusted branford's endorsement...the reeds were the WORST I've ever played...I couldn't get anything but fuzz and mush out of EVERY reed in the box...and it WASN'T a strength issue with the reed...they just plain sucked...it felt like it was the cane at the VERY top of the cane plant...where it's thin, lifeless and is like split-ends on your hair...just complete crap...no offense to aussies but these reeds give your country a bad name!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
If you're talking about the Hemke Premium French File Cut reeds, I agree that they are pretty distinctive sounding. I like them too, although I've read some complaints on here about getting damaged ones. You could try the Rico Jazz Select filed reeds and maybe soften/sand down the tip area somewhat.

Rory

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hemke Alternatives

I second the Rico Royal suggestion. I find that reeds tend to be individualistic no matter how the are branded. However, on my metal STM 101 with homemade baffle I find many Daniel reeds and Javas to be similar to many Hemkes I've tried. Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was a Hemke player for years too, then I tried Marca's once and never went back. I found them quite similar, yet more consistent and (subjectively) smoother. They seem to last longer too. Their strengths seem harder than Hemke's, so if you play on 3 1/2's you might want to try 3's or 2 1/2's. Woodwind & Brasswind has them and got them to me within 2-3 days.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Elmar Kurgpold said:
I was a Hemke player for years too, then I tried Marca's once and never went back. I found them quite similar, yet more consistent and (subjectively) smoother. They seem to last longer too. Their strengths seem harder than Hemke's, so if you play on 3 1/2's you might want to try 3's or 2 1/2's. Woodwind & Brasswind has them and got them to me within 2-3 days.
I just looked this brand up and the sultry, alluring black box has definitely caught my attention, lol. From what you said, this could not only be similar, but a possible better alternative to the Hemkes. I'll probably buy a sample of each of everyone's recommendations to find a close replacement, or of course, a possible successor.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bluesaxgirl said:
You could always try going to another music store...
The two other stores that are closest to the main one I go to carry ONLY the basic Rico reeds. There are a few other stores, but they are at least 30-40 miles away (factor in traffic). These farther stores are, too, sadly out of stock as well.

Quite frankly, although I am a Hemke fan, I would not drive very far for an item that is only around $10, unless, of course, my life and career depended on it. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rleitch said:
Thanks for the offer, but they are for tenor. I need Hemke reeds for alto and soprano (which I have already ordered ;) ). Currently, I am using rico royal reeds as my backups and they aren't bad. Much better then the basic rico reeds and they do have somewhat similar response and sound to the Hemkes, but of course, its no Hemke. But definitely, they are more than useable and would work well in a performance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts