Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I heard so much good comments about bauhaus walstein alto saxophone so i've gotten myself one of these lovely horns 4 months ago.

But i'm getting a problem with G#. I need to adjust my jaws a lot just to get the note. I check for leaks and couldn't find any.

I've recently tried another chinese horn with the same mouthpiece setup and realized that it's so easy to get the note on the other horn.

Question is:

Does breaking in/seasoning of a new horn makes it easier to play? or
Should I send my saxophone in for servicing since i'm not professional to check for alignment and stuff?

Thanks in advance for advices!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
But i'm getting a problem with G#. I need to adjust my jaws a lot just to get the note. I check for leaks and couldn't find any.

I've recently tried another chinese horn with the same mouthpiece setup and realized that it's so easy to get the note on the other horn.
That is not right. BWs don't generally have those sorts of problem.

Saxophones don't need breaking in, and AFAIK all BWs are individually set up before shipping, but after any postal experience , it's good to get a horn looked at and possibly tweaked by a good tech.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean i can understand if my embouchure/leak/mpc/reed is giving the problem.
I just did a check once again. No leaks! same mouthpiece on the other horn on the same day.
Well maybe just for knowledge or discussion, any possible reasons?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
Does the G# open at all? This is a note that frequently gives problems in saxophones because the keycup is closed all the time and needs to open when depress the activating key so it is possible, even in a new saxophone, that the pad in the keycup " sticks" to the tonehole rim (in a new horn this might be caused by the lacquer on the tonehole sticking to the pad or the varnish of the pad sticking to the tonehole rim). Open the keycup manually a couple of times then try to play the note again, it should now go open and play. If this is the case , take a cotton swab for ear cleaning , dip it in lighter fluid and try to clean, gently, the pad and or the tonehole rim.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
There shouldn't be any reason why the G# is giving you difficulties - generally speaking if you can hit the G fine, the G# should be just as easy.
Press the G# key down and watch the G# key cup - does it come up, and does it come up smartly?

If it doesn't there may be two reasons. 1, it's had a knock in transit, and this can leave a very slight bend in the body. This often pinches pillars together, and if the bend is focussed around the G# it will mean the pillars are binding. They will have to be eased apart. This is a job for a tech really.
2, the key cup barrel is binding due to a lack of oil...or it's fouled up with Chinese grease. You could try popping a little drop of key oil on each end of the key, but a better bet is a drop of cigarette lighter fluid followed by a drop of oil.
See here for more details:

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/HandyHints/oilaction.htm

Regards,

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I mean i can understand if my embouchure/leak/mpc/reed is giving the problem.
I just did a check once again. No leaks! same mouthpiece on the other horn on the same day.
Well maybe just for knowledge or discussion, any possible reasons?
There's likely some problems with your horn. I had a friend who bought a BW soprano locally, and it also had some set-up problems, but he was able to sort it out himself, as he is quite good with DIY. The horn itself sounds very good.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
I had a friend who bought a BW soprano locally, and it also had some set-up problems,
That would probably have been caused on the way through the wardrobe.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,960 Posts
Yes...it wouldn't necessarily be a LEAK per se, but rather something's up with the mechanics...maybe the keycup doesn't open enough...maybe, unbeknownst to you because it's a different sax than your other, you are inadvertently leaning on some other key when you hit the G#.

It could also be that there's something up in the octave mechanism of the body pip key.....when the G is depressed....

Just some thoughts....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts