Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to write out "The Intrepid Fox" by Freddie Hubbard for my ensemble at NJPAC. I have the music for the horns written out with harmonies and all but how do I write for piano, bass and drums? I have no idea how to write that out. Especially for bass and drums, because there are parts where I hear the bass part have a specific line in the head but other times it can't make it out.

Anyone know how to write out parts for rhythm section?

·
Registered
340 Posts
How big is the ensemble? I'm assuming it's small - 2 or 3 horns and a rhythm section at the most.

For piano and bass, chord charts are sufficient - if you have a specific line in mind, you can notate that line, but for the rest I would just use slash notation and the chord symbols above the bar. you can also indicate specific rhythm using slash notation, without having to write out the actual notes for bass and drums (useful for hits).

I would avoid putting in actual notes for chords on the piano part, unless you have a specific voicing you want in that part. Same for bass, unless you have a specific line, let the bass player determine what notes to play - it's what the rhythm section does in jazz.

Have you seen the real book chart for this piece? If not, check it out - it's on the realbooksite.com. I'm not sure of your arrangement, but something like that chart is a good starting point - the rhythm section should be able to play off of that. If you have a specific part that you want them to play, notate only that part - there rest leave as chord symbols only. Make changes based on your arrangement, then ask your rhythm section if they have enough information on the chart to play what you have in mind.

Writing for drums is a bit of a mystery for me as well, so I would just explain to the drummer what I wanted, and leave him or her to make their own notes!

I hope this helps!

Edit: just saw your profile - ask you teachers for help as well. When I was in school, I know my teachers would have been thrilled I was taking on a project like this! :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,584 Posts
Break it down for them. You know, like 'Beat drum now!'.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have to write out "The Intrepid Fox" by Freddie Hubbard for my ensemble at NJPAC. I have the music for the horns written out with harmonies and all but how do I write for piano, bass and drums? I have no idea how to write that out. Especially for bass and drums, because there are parts where I hear the bass part have a specific line in the head but other times it can't make it out.

Anyone know how to write out parts for rhythm section?
Drummers like charts where there are hits in them. Like most of it would be slashes, with some rhythms that you want the drummer to hit.

The bass, pretty much the same thing unless it is a written part you want played. Bass players like to have slashes and chords.

You might want to maybe get a book on the subject…..there are plenty of them out there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,804 Posts
Drummers like charts where there are hits in them. Like most of it would be slashes, with some rhythms that you want the drummer to hit.
"Old school" big band drummers often liked to read a copy of the lead trumpet part for that exact reason.

When I write drum parts, since I don't play drums, I'm really general: inside the staff I'll indicate time or the absence of it (stops, for example) with slashes and rests. Above the staff I'll indicate the hits. And that's about as far as I go...I'll let the drummer pick which drum or cymbal he's going to use...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts