Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I need a bit of help as it has been a long, long time since I have done this kind of thing, my Dad is in town from FL and we are going to get together with my brother and his son and have the 4 of us play. We have a soprano and a tenor but for now to get started again I need some help with creating parts, straight and moving parts, I believe 2nd alto is a 3rd lower than lead and 3rd alto is a fifth lower than lead. Is this correct, all of our old stuff was trashed sometime recently we believe, otherwise I would just examine the old work. Also if anyone has any parts they would be willing to send my way for some easy songs, as dad and brother don't read all that well would you please, please send them to [email protected]. As always I am very thankful for all of the help I receive and have a safe and Happy Easter. Jay.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
I need some help with creating parts, straight and moving parts, I believe 2nd alto is a 3rd lower than lead and 3rd alto is a fifth lower than lead. Is this correct,
No, it doesn't work like that. The note each horn plays depends on the chord tones, not the interval distance from the lead.

I have some guides on two, three and four part block voicing:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/jazz-blockvoicing.html

A very general rules is that the 2nd part is the first chord note below the melody, the 3rd part is the second chord note and the 4th psrt is the 3rd chord note.

So if the melody is C and the chord is C7, the notes will be (down from melody): C Bb G E

If the melody is E and the chord is C7, the notes will be: E C Bb G

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are you distinguishing the chord, let's say we have a bare melody line, let's use the c scale in thirds
c,e,d,f, etc., how would I know which chord to use, how about if it was not based on a scale but
a random progression of notes. Wish I had kept up on this stuff, thanks Pete.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
Ah well I was assuming this was based on given chords, not on making the chords up yourself, which is of course possible.

The chords could be various. As an example: C or Am7 for the C, E and Dm7, G7 or Bb7 for the D, F.

If it was Am7 - Dm7 (in 4 part close block voicing) Your example could be:

Top line C E D F

2nd line A C C D

3rd line: G A A C

4th line: E G F A

1 - 4 of 4 Posts