Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

I've acquired a NOS Vito tenor sax that certainly seems to be a clone of (or manufactured by) the YTS-23. It looks like all the pics I see of YTS-23 saxes, and the pics of mine have been identified by others as definitely being a YTS-23 clone. But the serial number doesn't seem to fit what I'm finding on the Internet. The S/N is 290xxx, with JAPAN above the serial number. All of the YamaVitos I've seen either have S/Ns much lower or much higher, and they typically say Japan BELOW the serial number, not above it. For example, the "Dr. Sax" serial number list has a bunch listed below 150xxx (early Yamaha-made Vitos) and above 500xxx (later Yamaha-made Vitos). My son has a Vito alto (YAS-23 type) that is 534xxx and says Japan below the S/N, which fits what I knew about the world. But my tenor...

So what on earth is my tenor? Was it in fact made by Yamaha? Any idea when? Thanks in advance for any input.

Stacey

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
Yamaha was one of them many manufacturers who made stencil horns for Leblanc/Vito. The Alto and Tenor VITO horns that you see marked JAPAN and resemble the YS-23 horns were in fact VITO branded Yamahas.
Yanagisawa also made horns for VITO, however despite also being marked JAPAN, those do not resemble the Yamaha made horns.

They are a great value for the player, but do not bring as much at resale as the Yamaha branded equivalent, despite being the exact same horn.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any thoughts on when it was made? The 290xxx S/N is what throws me off. All of the YamaVitos mentioned on DrSax and elsewhere are either pre-150xxx or post-500xxx. The music store said they received it in 2002, so I'm just gonna assume It was manufactured 2000-2002, unless someone has better info about this weird serial number.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,526 Posts
it is in all probability a Yamaha if it looks like one (very distinctive look) , the other Japanese possibility would be Yanagisawa but they look pretty different.

Post pictures when we are going to re acquire this function which, at the moment is disabled.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Thanks SAXISMYAXE. I didn't know that Yanagisawa also made saxes marked Vito. In my area YAS-23's and their Vito clones are easy to find and cheap, but the tenors are getting harder and harder to come by and sellers know what they are worth.

·
Administrator
13,993 Posts
Thanks SAXISMYAXE. I didn't know that Yanagisawa also made saxes marked Vito. In my area YAS-23's and their Vito clones are easy to find and cheap, but the tenors are getting harder and harder to come by and sellers know what they are worth.
Cheers. Yes, the Yamaha ones are far more common. Occasionally you do find one of the Yani made Vito horns.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
There were a lot of low A baritones engraved "Vito" made by Yanagisawa. I haven't seen altos or tenors myself, but I can readily believe they exist.

Also "Martin", "Whitehall", "Dorado", and probably some others I can't think of at the moment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m brand new to this forum, so I hope I’m doing this right. But, can anyone tell me anything more about a Vito alto sax that says made in Taiwan with serial number 714837? No model listed. I’ve tried to find info online, but haven’t had much luck. Basically, I would like to know if this will be a good student horn.

·
Registered
58 Posts
@mircat are the bell keys on the left side or the right? I'm GUESSING it's the Jupiter-style Vito stencils. Decent student horn, but you'll outgrow it eventually.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Yanagisawa made Vitos are branded VSP. They have the Yani lyre insignia on the neck key, by the serial # and neck brace of the baritone.

I've owned a VSP baritone and tenor and can, therefore, attest to their existence -:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts