Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing alto sax and I'm pretty good at it. I'd always been fascinated by sop, though, so I recently bought one. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how different the embouchure is from alto. My embouchure is good enough that I can get a sound out of it, but I feel like it could be way better. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks for your help guys.

Peter

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Can you play fluid and fluent Alto Altissimo? If so, getting the register on soprano is very similar in its "voicing". Also, if you have the wrong reed/mouthpiece combo for you and your soprano, it'll make the high end near impossible, and cause the low end to warble or "motorboat".

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,888 Posts
My main difference is that I tend to put quite a lot of mouthpiece in my mouth with soprano, it seems to help the sound and does not inhibit control as it can with alto or tenor sometimes. Mouthpiece exercises will help to get a feel for the internal mouthshape with soprano, which can be quite crucial as small changes there vcan have a larger effect with the smaller instrument.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts